PDA

View Full Version : Schrick cams on E34 540i

Jake
04-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi guys. Just thought I'd throw this one out there and see if anybody is running Schrick cams on their E34 540i (or M60 740i for that matter). I have a friend who is putting together a group buy on all Schrick products and figured I'd at least entertain the thought.

Thanks for your advice,
Jake Larsen

DueyT
04-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Note yet, Jake...but let me know how your friend likes them! Those and a nice free flowing exhaust to capitalize on the increased breathing would be the dream projects... :D

Cheers
Duey

Jake
04-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Those and a nice free flowing exhaust to capitalize on the increased breathing

Oh tell me about it... ;)

The stock headers have got to be one of the most restrictive systems I've seen. I think it's cylinders #4 and #8, the exhaust hits a brick wall (more or less) as it enters the header; I'm talking about a 90 deg bend. Then there's that crazy pinch half way down the same set. Yuck!

The only thing sorta cool about the stock headers is that they're dual chamber (air pocket between an inner and outer wall). That's neat and all but they really sacrificed flow.

I think it would be a ball trying to build up some custom headers. What a glorious pain that must be. Sounds like a blast! :D

If I had a bit more time I'd even give it a whack but I need to have this back on the road by the end of June for a little track time and there's no way I could tackle a feat so complicated in such a short amount of time, considering I have a full time job. :(

Cheers,
Jake Larsen

Tiger
04-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Not only that... stock header are unequalled length. Good header gives each cylinder same length of flow so the cylinders are all balanced... that's why it got those neat curvy bends and all that glitters... cool looking.

The bad thing about headers is that they are not thermally protected like stock... keeping exhaust hot before it hit the cat... and not heat up the engine compartment.

On the other note... I am not sure if I would want to put Schrick cams on 4.0 engine... The main purpose of Shrick is more power... but only on the high end of RPM. So just driving normally, you would not benefit... can you imagine driving at 5000 RPM at 25 MPH just to feel that power? If you are dedicated to track, then I would see benefit there.

With our already weak low end (without EAT), adding Schrick would seems to make it worse. The end result would probably be similar to the old Porsche 930 Turbo... where's the power???!!!.... What?! Jeez!!!... WHOA!!!!!! What a beast!

Hehehehe

MBXB
04-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Who makes headers for E34 540s? I haven't found any on a Google search.
Can't you get them ceramic coated to keep the temps down?

l8apex
04-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Has anyone tried to put SuperSprint headers on their e-34 540i or 530i V-8?
I know that SuperSprint has a beautiful set available for the e-39 540i, and I have to wonder whether they will fit in the e-34. Seems like they should. Maybe they are tight and just require a little bit of clearance?

Jake
04-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Vee hav vays of making it verk... :p

It all depends on the user. To be honest, I'd probably go for an unequal header. There's a reason for this design, and one that isn't all that obvious. Packaging has a lot to do with it as well as production costs, but there are advantages.

An unequal header has this neat ability to spread the torque curve; the effect is intentional. While one half peaks early the others peak later, the end result is a perceived flat torque curve.

So if one was to get in there and fabricate a set of headers, but due to packaging (available space) you had to live with unequal headers, it wouldn't be all that bad in reality.

On the issue of heat radiation, there are other ways around that of course.

Schrick's road cam set really is intended for the road (I know, Capt Obvious... ;) ). Low-end torque loss is supposed to be minimal but with a nice gain up top of course. I've never driven these in a 540i but I'm not really all that concerned about being disappointed. :D

Cheers,
Jake Larsen

Not only that... stock header are unequalled length. Good header gives each cylinder same length of flow so the cylinders are all balanced... that's why it got those neat curvy bends and all that glitters... cool looking.

The bad thing about headers is that they are not thermally protected like stock... keeping exhaust hot before it hit the cat... and not heat up the engine compartment.

On the other note... I am not sure if I would want to put Schrick cams on 4.0 engine... The main purpose of Shrick is more power... but only on the high end of RPM. So just driving normally, you would not benefit... can you imagine driving at 5000 RPM at 25 MPH just to feel that power? If you are dedicated to track, then I would see benefit there.

With our already weak low end (without EAT), adding Schrick would seems to make it worse. The end result would probably be similar to the old Porsche 930 Turbo... where's the power???!!!.... What?! Jeez!!!... WHOA!!!!!! What a beast!

Hehehehe

632 Regal
04-26-2004, 06:49 PM
those should raise the power band start to about 5500rpms in the 530.

DueyT
04-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know what the lift profile, durations and centerlines are on the stock and the Schrick cams? That would tell you a lot.

About the headers...hey, I didn't know they were double-walled -- that means they must be a fair bit more restrictive than I though they were! They still do look nice, though...and if I recall correctly last time I was underneath the beast, they're more of a Tri-Y design, which is optimised for torque production.

Maybe Supersprint with a custom ceramic coating is the way to go?

Cheers,
Duey

Bill R.
04-27-2004, 09:52 AM
theres only 3.5 mm between the inner and outer walls... What it does help is that the surface temp of the exhaust manifold and the down pipes is reduced by approximately 750F and the insulating quality of it means the o2 sensor and the cat are both functioning much faster and more accurately. Sorry, thats .0395 thousands..

Also do the Schrick cams have the crankshaft type counterweights that the stock cams has to help correct the imbalance of the cams?

Does anyone know what the lift profile, durations and centerlines are on the stock and the Schrick cams? That would tell you a lot.

About the headers...hey, I didn't know they were double-walled -- that means they must be a fair bit more restrictive than I though they were! They still do look nice, though...and if I recall correctly last time I was underneath the beast, they're more of a Tri-Y design, which is optimised for torque production.

Maybe Supersprint with a custom ceramic coating is the way to go?

Cheers,
Duey

Jake
04-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Personally, I'd rather take that 4.5mm back and add a quality ceramic coating. That and eliminate those crazy pinch sections; it just amazes me they crimped them so much.

I'd bet a well designed set of headers would offer some impressive gains all by themselves; it needs to be done. The only one that *might* work (from Supersprint) is something like $3000!! I'd go custom before paying that for a mass-produced product.

I generally like Supersprint but they certainly aren't the be all end all. I have their full race system for my E30 M3 and their cat back set up for my 540iT. Good-looking stuff but I'm not 100% happy, especially the stuff for my 5er.

Everything is fine until it gets to the tips where the ID shrinks for some reason. Why? I feel like I need to cut those damn black divergent cones out. They even tack welded them in, in such a way that the exiting exhaust hits the leading edge of this tube formed into a reverse cone. Sharp edges which decrease ID can't be good for flow. Oh well...

Sorry but I don't know the Schrick specs for the M60 yet. I've been searching for them for the past few days. I never noticed counterweights on my stock cams but I'll have to take a look tonight.

Oh, and has anybody here put Schrick road cams in their V8? Any BMW V8?

Cheers,
Jake Larsen

theres only 3.5 mm between the inner and outer walls... What it does help is that the surface temp of the exhaust manifold and the down pipes is reduced by approximately 750F and the insulating quality of it means the o2 sensor and the cat are both functioning much faster and more accurately. Sorry, thats .0395 thousands..

Also do the Schrick cams have the crankshaft type counterweights that the stock cams has to help correct the imbalance of the cams?

Jake
04-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Update.

Apparently Schrick doesn't make anything for the M60. My bad. No wonder nobody's tried them. :(

Cheers,
Jake Larsen

winfred
04-28-2004, 08:33 PM
the pieced together v8 headers suck, the managers 95 740il had a funky knocking rattle for over a year till we found it, the inner sleave one the front left header had broken loose and was vibrating inside of the header making a strange noise, it's expensive too and theirs 4 of them total, 2 per side
my 325is's headers have jet hot 1300 sterling on em and id say it's the same or cooler then stock, i've herd that the 2000 is better
http://members.cox.net/kitlou/m20motor
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/burnout.gif

Jake
04-29-2004, 06:06 AM
the pieced together v8 headers suck, the managers 95 740il had a funky knocking rattle for over a year till we found it, the inner sleave one the front left header had broken loose and was vibrating inside of the header making a strange noise, it's expensive too and theirs 4 of them total, 2 per side

That's kind of one of those blanket statements. I wouldn't want people to think headers like these are crap. It’s really a matter of attention to detail. Some of these aftermarket headers are crap. Poor build quality can lead people into believing it's a general trait with that type of design when really it’s a problem with the manufacturer.

Just my $.02,
Jake Larsen