PDA

View Full Version : More video turbo 525i.

Jon K
01-25-2007, 01:52 PM
My buddy and I made this real quick - the tape has more "driving" in it, but my buddy didn't get to editting it. It's all from "in car" so sense of speed is hard to judge. I spun third and got real fish-taily but the cameras was held too low as my buddy hung on so it didn't make it in the film.

Its just a little teaser video to occupy your time. I like the part when the turbo spins down from idle - I dunno why, just neat. I should have found more straight roads to rip open on but I am out at school and don't really know the areas not populated by police very much. Oh well, will get more soon! Next time from outside the car hopefully.

*Right-Click and Choose Save Link As (http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/boostedjon.mov)

Check it out!

Booster
01-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Cool vid, Jon. My sound couldn't pick up the empellar spin down noise, but its a POS computer,lol.
IS your Tial BOV pretty quiet ?
.........Vinny

Jon K
01-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Cool vid, Jon. My sound couldn't pick up the empellar spin down noise, but its a POS computer,lol.
IS your Tial BOV pretty quiet ?
.........Vinny
Nah BOV is not at all quiet - its like a rushing air sound. Listen close you'll hear it. This was with the windows up. The BOV is loudish but the open wastegate is even louder.

BTW vinny you wont hear the spool down - its just from idle. I just found it amazing how long my journal bearing turbo spun after shutting the car down.

Macv
01-25-2007, 04:28 PM
You make me really jealous

Jon K
01-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Don't be - the car scares the **** out of me!

nizmainiac
01-25-2007, 07:30 PM
it won't scare you for long jon, you'll soon get used to it and once you do you'll just want more power:D

Jon K
01-25-2007, 07:34 PM
I suppose that is true - that's why I am building the 2nd engine :)

It just scares me how differently this car has driven in the last 2 years. NA bolt-ons to Supercharged to NA bolt-ons to Turbocharged. This is only 10 psi of boost - I can't imaging what 20 - 25 psi will feel like.

nizmainiac
01-25-2007, 07:44 PM
when you wind it up to 25psi take some clean boxer shorts with you:D

RallyD
01-25-2007, 07:51 PM
damn thats cool, I wish I was into e34s before I boosted my PT.

Macv
01-25-2007, 08:30 PM
The way I see it, I've got 3 years to catch up to your current age. If I don't have the knowledge to boost my baby by then, I'll sell her.

I've got everything running in top knotch right now, I just don't have the skill to do anymore :(

Jon K
01-25-2007, 09:36 PM
The way I see it, I've got 3 years to catch up to your current age. If I don't have the knowledge to boost my baby by then, I'll sell her.

I've got everything running in top knotch right now, I just don't have the skill to do anymore :(

How old are ya?

I did my supercharger when I was 19 - I am now 21. Argh, it sounds so young!

jjdickm
01-26-2007, 03:24 AM
Hey jon I was wondering what BOV you went with. I just got my 44mm tial wastegate and I ordered the HKS ssq pull type blow of valve. I cant't wait to get all this together. I am getting the block back next week from the machine shop and im hopefully ordering the intercooler. Also did you make your own manifold?

CarloE34
01-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Jon,i have put the link on my forum.Now we will wait :D
Great video b.t.w

Macv
01-26-2007, 07:21 AM
I'm only 17

shrike071
01-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm only 17

Bring it over next time you're in Atlanta! We'll hook you up.
:)

Jon K
01-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey jon I was wondering what BOV you went with. I just got my 44mm tial wastegate and I ordered the HKS ssq pull type blow of valve. I cant't wait to get all this together. I am getting the block back next week from the machine shop and im hopefully ordering the intercooler. Also did you make your own manifold?

Its the Tial 50mm BOV - I ran a 6mm vacuum light straight into the intake manifold, as you can see. I don't like the HKS SSQ valves - they sound way too spaceship-like for my tastes. I have a Tial 38mm wastegate venting to atmosphere - it gets real noisy but thats the way I like it.

Booster
01-26-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm only 17

Age or lack of it only contributes to stupidity.Time is what YOU make of it on this earth.
I built my first turbo car (Datsun 240-Z) at age 15.5 with spare parts and lots of trial and error. Back in 1978, there wasn't ANYONE for me to ask questions to about turbo'ing a import.
So read up and inspect several turbo cars personally(visually) until you totally understand the fundamentals of it.
Nowadys....you have the added benefit of standalone computers for fuel injection and affordable aftermarket wastegates and bov's etc.
Not to mention the WEB to indulge.A young man today has ZERO excuses to keep him from doing as he wants regarding knowledge.Budget or otherwise.
That is unless ones ass won't slide off the couch and go out to the car to start.
My best.........Vinny:)

jjdickm
01-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Its the Tial 50mm BOV - I ran a 6mm vacuum light straight into the intake manifold, as you can see. I don't like the HKS SSQ valves - they sound way too spaceship-like for my tastes. I have a Tial 38mm wastegate venting to atmosphere - it gets real noisy but thats the way I like it.
I haven't heard the hks before but it was recommended to me if I was looking for a higher boost system because it seals better(i guess). What are you going to do for emissions with your wastgate dump to atmo? Are you going to make a dump tube? But your system is sweet I really like the touch screen, I have wanted to do that but I haven't had time.

Jon K
01-26-2007, 12:33 PM
I haven't heard the hks before but it was recommended to me if I was looking for a higher boost system because it seals better(i guess). What are you going to do for emissions with your wastgate dump to atmo? Are you going to make a dump tube? But your system is sweet I really like the touch screen, I have wanted to do that but I haven't had time.

Jonathan - I have my ways around emissions.

The HKS is ok, but its doesn't evacuate that much pressure. The Tial is about the best piece of hardware you can buy and it's usually cheaper than the HKS.

Here you see the Tial 50mm (paired) on a pro drag car. The car is running something like 60+ psi of boost :)

http://www.tialsport.com/p_gallery/g_bristoldragrace/0013.jpg

jjdickm
01-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I won't even ask about the emissions. I will see if I like the hks. I will keep you posted when I get it together. I need to find a good water to air intercooler.

MPD47
01-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Like I said before, let me drive it and I'll bring my video stuff down and we'll make a real video.

ILoveMPower
01-30-2007, 09:47 AM
**** I need to watch this, too bad I'm stuck in class =\

Jon K
02-02-2007, 12:20 AM
**** I need to watch this, too bad I'm stuck in class =\

Its a decent video :)

winfred
02-02-2007, 09:07 AM
what happened to the supercharger or is it beyond rebuilding after it inhailed the vacuum line (or whatever it was)

Jon K
02-02-2007, 11:19 AM
what happened to the supercharger or is it beyond rebuilding after it inhailed the vacuum line (or whatever it was)

I think it's rebuildable, but Infinitas-GmBH wanted me to mail them the whole head unit - i bought it second hand, no warranty no info no nothing. So, I'd have to pay out of pocket their insane prices. They'd prob charge an arm and 3 legs just to look at it and then tell me they wont do anything without proof of purchase etc. I'd like to someday fix it myself. My buddy is a machinist and very capable, so perhaps we'll sit down and look at it - its a great unit, I just had bad luck with the rest of the vacuum line scenario :(

I am going to pop the compressor wheel off and spin the shaft at about 3k rpm and measure for play.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Supercharger/6.jpg
http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Supercharger/4.jpg

I doubt the shaft is bent.

Booster
02-02-2007, 11:24 AM
I think it's rebuildable, but Infinitas-GmBH wanted me to mail them the whole head unit - i bought it second hand, no warranty no info no nothing. So, I'd have to pay out of pocket their insane prices. They'd prob charge an arm and 3 legs just to look at it and then tell me they wont do anything without proof of purchase etc. I'd like to someday fix it myself. My buddy is a machinist and very capable, so perhaps we'll sit down and look at it - its a great unit, I just had bad luck with the rest of the vacuum line scenario :(

I am going to pop the compressor wheel off and spin the shaft at about 3k rpm and measure for play.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Supercharger/6.jpg
http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Supercharger/4.jpg

I doubt the shaft is bent.

Jon, can't that impellar be ground and rebalanced ??Or just a new impeller wheel ?Looking at the pic closer I see that its blades are indeed bent.A repair of this might have a break failure....replace it.
They can check the shaft trueness too. ALmost any turbo shop can do this.Fundamental works for them.
.........V'

Jon K
02-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Jon, can't that impellar be ground and rebalanced ??Or just a new impeller wheel ?
They can check the shaft trueness too. ALmost any turbo shop can do this.Fundamental works for them.
.........V'

Yeah all of this is possible - I wouldnt grind the impeller as there is now space between the blades and the housing, it wont compress air as well. But yeah, a new compressor wheel would do, but I need to find one that is the right fit.

Booster
02-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah all of this is possible - I wouldnt grind the impeller as there is now space between the blades and the housing, it wont compress air as well. But yeah, a new compressor wheel would do, but I need to find one that is the right fit.

I'd wager to bet that the manufacturer didn't make the wheel to begin with and that its available via many turbo outlets.
Measure with calipers the Inducer and exducer diameters along with ID of shaft etc. and give the specs to Garrett or Turbonetics and see what their charts show ?
You may come out pretty cheap..... particularly if the part number is common and can be found on some factory turbos that can be picked up used for less than the cost of a new wheel.

Jon K
02-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I'd wager to bet that the manufacturer didn't make the wheel to begin with and that its available via many turbo outlets.
Measure with calipers the Inducer and exducer diameters along with ID of shaft etc. and give the specs to Garrett or Turbonetics and see what their charts show ?
You may come out pretty cheap..... particularly if the part number is common and can be found on some factory turbos that can be picked up used for less than the cost of a new wheel.

I am already in that mindset Vin, in fact, I have about 6 compressor wheels that I have tried to match up. The shaft is just larger. I could machine one out, but I am not prepared, financially, to do all that.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Supercharger/7.jpg

Booster
02-02-2007, 11:42 AM
I am already in that mindset Vin, in fact, I have about 6 compressor wheels that I have tried to match up. The shaft is just larger. I could machine one out, but I am not prepared, financially, to do all that.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Supercharger/7.jpg

If you find a proper wheel size and it also mirrors your compressor house profile.....ship it too me and I'll hook you up with some free lathe work to get the right shaft ID.
Then you can sell the whole kit and have some free'd up funds.......for more speediness !:D

winfred
02-02-2007, 01:34 PM
if ya wanna dump the hair drier for some bucks or want some bimmer crap for trade let me know