PDA

View Full Version : 87 325 Engine Swap?

TX99
01-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Anyone have any advice or ideas on an engine swap?

My 325 needs a piston or main bearing, but instead of a re-build, I am considering an engine swap. Other than the motor, the car is in amazing shape. No leaks, no rust, so, I have been hesitant to sell or part it.

I found some long blocks with about 50K for $700-800 and think that swapping the engine may be a good idea. If anyone has any experience with a situation like this, I would greatly appreciate your input or advise.

Thanks!
TX99.

Ross
01-25-2007, 10:50 AM
The ETA "e" 2.7 short block with the "i" head is supposed to be a good combo.

danielhstout
01-30-2007, 12:39 AM
I swapped out a bad motor for a good one on my 87 325e it took a couple days but it wasn't very difficult. If you are used to working on cars than you can do it. Its nice if you have replacement motor and tranny so you don't have to seperate them. Anyway if you do have to swap the tranny to the new motor do it while its out of the car. I would do a clutch and rebuild the linkage while you are at it.

fporro
01-30-2007, 08:49 PM
yeap,
\is not that difficult of a job, i did it on my driveway.

recommend you to remove engine and trani in 1 piece, it's a lot easier that way.

Also, get a ...

- load lever for the engine hoist, cost about $ 25 and it will make things that much easier.

- size 32mm wrench from bicycle shop, about $ 12, remove fan with it.

- a can of PB Blaster to loosen exhaust bolts and what not.

also it's a good time to swap worn shifter linkage if manual.