PDA

View Full Version : Attack Of The Warning Lights!!

Spasso
01-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Hi Guys,
I've owned my 328iS for 1,000 miles and had some interesting things start happening recently. To start with, I did an oil change and transmission service as well as replaced the cooling system.

1. I pulled on to the freeway under moderate acceleration to 70 MPH. Five miles down the road I get the transmission warning light, (exclamation inside the gear insignia). This is occuring at normal cruise. I shifted the trans back and forth and found no problems or slipping.

2. Right after the trans light came on the ASC light flashed on (exclamation in triangle). I hit the ASC button a few times but the lights stayed on steady so I pulled over, read the owners manual. Shut off the engine in hopes of resetting the lights. It didn't work.

3. After 30 miles the check engine light came on in addition to the other two lights. Mind you, the engine is full of oil and water. It's running great!, shifting great and I am getting 24/25 MPG city-highway driving!

I reached my destination and shut it off. After I came out an hour later ALL of the lights were OFF. I thought, "weird".

4. The the next day while driving, the OBC annuciated "Brake circuit fault". I check the bulbs and the two main bulbs were out but the 3rd eye was still working. I replaced the bulbs and all seemed fine for about half a day. I got the "brake fault" message again as I was backing into my garage even though all three brake lights were working!! WTF??!!

Before I go any further on this I decided to buy a Peak OBDII to alleviate the guessing game.(NO STOMP TEST ON THIS CAR).

I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone has had similar events.

Could it be a problem with the the ECU?? OBC??

1998 328is, A4S 270/310R automatic. Build date 1/98

Thanks for all the help guys.
DJ

Ross
01-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Have a look again where you were working for electrical connectors undone or loose, or coolant gotten into them.
Low battery voltage will do some pretty bizzare things too but I'm thinking you would have had starting issues by now.

Spasso
01-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I thought of the low voltage syndrome after reading how it can cause "Trans Program" messages in E34's. I will take a look at the battery to see how old it is and test the alternator for proper charging.

I did notice a non-factory ground wire added to a brown lead on the R/H tail light plug. I guess it's time to get the schematics out.

One further note, when driving and the "Brake Circuit" message pops up I can turn the key off briefly then back on (on the fly) causing the message to go away.

Spasso
01-25-2007, 07:47 PM
I thought of the low voltage syndrome after reading how it can cause "Trans Program" messages in E34's. I will take a look at the battery to see how old it is and test the alternator for proper charging.

I did notice a non-factory ground wire added to a brown lead on the R/H tail light plug. I guess it's time to get the schematics out.

One further note, when driving and the "Brake Circuit" message pops up I can turn the key off briefly then back on (on the fly) causing the message to go away.

I think I may change the name of the car to "Christine" if this keeps up.........

My Peak Tool should be here tomorrow..

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you posted

Spasso
01-28-2007, 11:18 PM
I checked the battery and terminals today. Terminals were clean and new looking as was the battery, only slightly down on water. No chance to do a load test on the battery or alternator but they both seem to be pretty hot, the engine cranks over fast on start-up.

I pulled fault codes with the Peake tool and all I got was
"Throttle position sensor' and "Idle control system, idle speed not plausible".

This would explain the high idle when I put it into gear. Idle is normal in Park and first gear only.

Still no clue why I keep getting a "Brake Circuit Fault" message. The lights still work, the bulbs are the proper wattage and the message resets when the key is switched off/on momentarily.

No Check engine lights or transmission warning lights either.

Spasso
02-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Found the cause for the "Brake Circuit Failure" here thanks to Shogun
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=30718
http://www.howtobmw.com/brake.htm

http://www.howtobmw.com/specifymainten.htm