PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a 520iA '92mod

520John
01-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi all.

I'm a newbie of this excellent forum and need your help.

I have a 520iA '92mod and this week it has started to run very roughly. I have read some of the other threads looking for answers but most of the ones I have read is of 535's and 540's.
It actually started right after I bought it 3months ago. It started without a problem but when I had been driving for a while and its up to running temperature and I stopped it and tried to start again, it wouldnt start without a little help in the shape of a touch on the gaspedal.
Other then that it showed no other signs of problems.

This week, especially today it's been a different story.
I drive along at a steady pace and it just seems to loose power. It doesnt totally die but comes back to power again and it goes on like this with different intervals. It runs smooth for 5, 10, 15 minutes and then it all goes to sh** again.

Since I have only had it for 3months I have no idea when the sparkplugs, gasfilter etc was changed.

Anyone that has a clue after reading this badly told story??

DaveVoorhis
01-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Needing to press the accelerator to start suggests leaky injectors. Run a few cans of fuel injector cleaner through it. Also, if you don't know the prior history of the vehicle, you might wish to clean the Idle Control Valve, check the intake system for air leaks and repair any that are found, replace the spark plugs, change the air filter, replace the fuel filter, clean the throttle body, and clean the electrical connectors on all engine sensors.

520John
01-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I do not need to touch the accelerator when I start the engine when its cold, its just when its up to running temp.
Also the idle has always stayed stable at 750RPM, until now.

Another thing that might be important is that its 10 below 0 outside.

The problem has gotten extremely worse just the last 2 days.