PDA

View Full Version : Spam within forum.

smcgowan
01-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Here's my thought on spam. A 24 hour period in which new memebers can not post. Of course we must put this on the new users page, but look how many spam postings would be eliminated.

Scott

Ross
01-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes, but that would also eliminate the desperate "HELP, my car won't_____" posts made with no research and with no pertinent info given.

Ferret
01-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, but that would also eliminate the desperate "HELP, my car won't_____" posts made with no research and with no pertinent info given.

++10 Bonus Points

632 Regal
01-24-2007, 10:39 AM
cant do anything automaticly with this forum

Fetch
01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
We really just need one of those computer generated image validation thingys, that'd take care of it. I've never looked to see if there are free solutions for vBulletin, but in either case it would take time on Ed's part that he may or may not have.

Jeff is doing a decent job so far! ;)

632 Regal
01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Ed says something about his servers dont support the image verification thing,
says something about a seperate secure server blah blah blah...

We really just need one of those computer generated image validation thingys, that'd take care of it. I've never looked to see if there are free solutions for vBulletin, but in either case it would take time on Ed's part that he may or may not have.

Jeff is doing a decent job so far! ;)

brick8
01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
For those of us with failing eyesight, the image verification thing is a bust. The letters they use really suck and it is impossible to repeat them. You will lose good board members with image verification sign on protocol.

Ed says something about his servers dont support the image verification thing,
says something about a seperate secure server blah blah blah...

repenttokyo
01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
just turn on the option that admins have to approve all new members before they can post.

New user moderation:
-- Radio buttons for "approve", "deny", "not sure" (save in limbo)
-- Default emails to send to approved and disapproved users

rreimund
01-24-2007, 05:16 PM
For those of us with failing eyesight, the image verification thing is a bust. The letters they use really suck and it is impossible to repeat them. You will lose good board members with image verification sign on protocol.

I think they mean image verification when you first sign up... Also, I can't imagine that would be a big deal. I've got a phpBB forum setup at my domain, which is just a rinky dink personal hosted domain, and that came out of the box with an image verification thing that I can just turn on and off for when new users sign up. Given that this is vBulletin, not sure how different it is..

rreimund
01-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Ok.. did some research, and it seems there is an alternative to the CAPTCHA image verification. The post here:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=133937
Seems to allude to the fact that that there are some servers that can't do the image verification. But that said, this appears to be a viable option. Only problem is that it's for 3.5.7 and above.. (although it MAY work with earlier 3.5 version vBulletins... which we're running 3.5.1)

If Ed doesn't have time to look into this, I'd be happy to help him out on it.. just PM me Ed..

Bimmer Nut Ed
01-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Yes, I want to implement the image verification option, andI have already done so once. Thats how I found out I need some additional updated software, can't remember what that was right now. Anyway, that's why I'm on the process of upgrading my environment. I started with the router and now have to implment a new server, long story short, I'm working on it, I just need more time. Don't really need help, I know what to do, it's simply the time thing!

Additional details; I actually host about 100 websites, resorts, charter boat sites, really just brochureware web sites, not a big deal. I'm afraid to make big sfwr upgrades on that server, our server. So I need another server to make changes to and then I will migrate the sites to that server. An upgrade path! So, this is all coming real soon, upgraded sfwr, upgraded hardware. A better Bimmer.info coming soon! Thanks guys.

repenttokyo
01-31-2007, 06:25 PM
nice.