PDA

View Full Version : Ujoints Help!

marven
04-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Hey Guys,
Basically been told by my mechanic that my ujoints are gone....start to hear a loud click click click after the car speeds up then it goes away....have kind of a shimmy....he has to remove the muffler, heat shield and then the drive shaft...he won't be able to remove and press for me said that I have to get it done from someone else...

Has anyone else had this problem and does his diagnosis sound correct?

Thx very much!
marven

Jr ///M5
04-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Marven, the u-joints aren't replaceable on your car. You will have to replace the entire driveshaft if that is indeed what's wrong with it.

There are heat shields that have been known to fall down from time to time and produce a clicking sound as it rubs the driveshaft.

The telltale sign for a worn shaft is a definate clunk when the car is placed in gear (if an automatic) or when you release the clutch (if it's a manual) you didn't specify which one you had.

All the same, there is a place called Driveshafts of Portland, based in Oregon, and several here on the board have dealt with them with good results, but get your wallet out, and leave it out. The cost of replacement is over $300 not counting labor.

Is your mechanic $300 sure it's the driveshaft? I'd get a second opinion, especially if you are depending solely on his diagnosis skills.

It helps to know how many miles is on the car and how it's been driven, it could be the flex disc or center bearing instead. We won't know until you tell us what type of transmission you have...

You would be able to inspect the flex disc without dropping the exhaust system, but not the center bearing.

Hope this helps,
Jr

GS535i
04-26-2004, 05:57 PM
If the U-joints are gone, you may want to talk to the Drive line shop at the nearest large 18 wheeler service center. I've had "non-rebuildable" $$$$ types of driveshafts remachined to take standard Spicer greasable U-joints plus a high speed balance that puts oem to shame - all for a fraction of the cost of a new shaft. (some of these shops 'sub' repairs for Audi/BMW/... at ~10 - 20% of Dealer to you). Try the guys that know the driveline business.

Javier
04-27-2004, 08:36 PM
My car (1992 535i No flex disk) got a clicking noise caused by the hitting of the balancing insert in the drive shaft to the heat shield. The reason was that the shaft was lowered a bit in the transmission end, due to worn transmission mountings.

I noticed it wile looking for a worn flex disk (that was not there at all), when giving up and preparing to re-assemble, noticed a scratch in the heat shield, in the upper front side, just under the drive shaft end (were the rectangular balancing weight is welded to the shat). Bent the heat shield a bit (No mountings were available to correct) and click was gone.

marven
04-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Marven, the u-joints aren't replaceable on your car. You will have to replace the entire driveshaft if that is indeed what's wrong with it.

There are heat shields that have been known to fall down from time to time and produce a clicking sound as it rubs the driveshaft.

The telltale sign for a worn shaft is a definate clunk when the car is placed in gear (if an automatic) or when you release the clutch (if it's a manual) you didn't specify which one you had.

All the same, there is a place called Driveshafts of Portland, based in Oregon, and several here on the board have dealt with them with good results, but get your wallet out, and leave it out. The cost of replacement is over $300 not counting labor.

Is your mechanic $300 sure it's the driveshaft? I'd get a second opinion, especially if you are depending solely on his diagnosis skills.

It helps to know how many miles is on the car and how it's been driven, it could be the flex disc or center bearing instead. We won't know until you tell us what type of transmission you have...

You would be able to inspect the flex disc without dropping the exhaust system, but not the center bearing.

Hope this helps,
Jr

Hi Jr - thx for your reply....I checked with BMA and Patrick said that they are replaceable - essentinally it's a rebuild...

The car is automatic and yes i hear a huge "CLUNK" when the car is put into gear. I have 255,000km on it. The worst case senerio is that I will have to replace the Ujoints and the bearing not to mention having it realigned....

Thx Again
Marven