PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid colour

Alpinewhite
01-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi All,

Recently I changed the Tranny filter and replaced just the drained fluid with Valvoline Dexron III Maxlife. It took about 5 1/2 qts.

The old fluid was little brown in colour but did not have any smell. In fact it was completely odur less. I have attached the blot test image. What do you think? Is my transmission safe? Or I am looking at a major Tranny problem in the recent future?

Tranny is ZF5HP18 aka a5s310z.

Thanks
Arun

632 Regal
01-23-2007, 06:02 PM
that looks great! Its when its real brown and smelly that you will have a future problem. Why so much fluid? Did it drain all night or something? Mine took 3.5 quarts almost 4 total.

Alpinewhite
01-23-2007, 06:22 PM
that looks great! Its when its real brown and smelly that you will have a future problem. Why so much fluid? Did it drain all night or something? Mine took 3.5 quarts almost 4 total.

Thats a good news for me.

Initially it took about 3.5 qts. Then I let the car idle till the temp was around 30 C. I moved the shifter thru all selections. Then it took another 1 1/2 qts.

I think mine had quite less fluid to begin with. There was a little seepage around the gaskets area. Now I have changed the filter with O-ring, crush washers and gasket.

I used Valvoline Maxlife Dex III to refill. This thing had a real stink. Is all Dex III like that?

Thanks
Arun

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-23-2007, 06:26 PM
time with your next oil change.

This will help freshen it up, since not all the fluid was changed.