PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on potential '94 525ix purchase ?

Zeuk in Oz
01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Am looking at a grey import 525ix in Sydney with 103 kkm. Imported early 2001.

Attraction to me is that it is manual with airbags - am looking to replace my '88 525i but want a manual gearbox for sons 3 & 4 to learn on.

Apart from obvious E34 issues - any advice on the 4WD drivetrain ? Reliability, things to look out for, common faults etc etc.

Has been on consignment in a lot for over a month and I am the first to look at it, so am hoping for some significant bargaining power.

I realise the grey import issues, but if it is cheap enough, I might just move on it.

BMA have assured me that they can supply most parts for it.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

Bo

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-23-2007, 04:52 PM
would be the only concern, price and if BMA can get them quickly and relaibly.

Kalevera
01-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Make sure that the transfer case still works. It's only a matter of time before the VC in it takes a dump. Not that you need 4wd for this kind of car in AUS, anyway, but. After 100k miles they are usually done. There are a few ways to check. 1) Put the car up on a lift, put the parking brake on, hold one wheel and try to rotate the other -- a strong VC will make it very difficult to do, 2) Jack the rear end of the car off the ground, start the car and slowly drop into first gear, see if the front wheels pull the car (pretty dangerous, but hey), 3) if the tcase fluid hasn't been changed in a while, drain it and stick it in a glass -- the silicone and whatever else is in the VC will separate from the ATF.

Another common E30 iX problem that may translate to the E34 version is the front driveshaft splines. Pull the front shaft and see if it's worn. It's a poor seal, and if the splines aren't kept in good grease, gunk and moisture ruins them.

Also check the front end CVs/boots. Common to crack, not that hard to replace, but maintenance and expenses nonetheless. And the car uses E30 style control arms that are unique.

Another E30 iX issue that may apply -- depending on where the car came from, check the front strut housings. They are known to rust out on E30s, they are unique, and $500 a piece.

rob101
01-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Not that you need 4wd for this kind of car in AUS, anyway, but.
haha, for some reason i find that amusing considering where our friendly country vet lives.
PS, what time frame are you looking at Bo I will be looking to get a different car in the next 6-9 months. mine has one airbag and a manual m50 drivetrain. there is a manual 525it for sale up here as well.
But it'd be good if we could keep this car "in the family" its a fairly rare car in Australia and i don't want some random car abuser touching it.

SC David
01-24-2007, 12:04 AM
That's pretty cool. Those cars are raaare. Good luck with the bargaining!

Zeuk in Oz
01-24-2007, 02:07 AM
haha, for some reason i find that amusing considering where our friendly country vet lives.
PS, what time frame are you looking at Bo I will be looking to get a different car in the next 6-9 months. mine has one airbag and a manual m50 drivetrain. there is a manual 525it for sale up here as well.
But it'd be good if we could keep this car "in the family" its a fairly rare car in Australia and i don't want some random car abuser touching it.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks for the info Rob. Do you have a link to the 525it as I am somewhat concerned about the extra drivetrain components that I don't really need but would be nice to have ? I would also consider your car when it if it comes up for sale before we find something.

The problem, for all you non-Aussies reading this is that apart from the 540i 6 speed E34 and M5, BMW did not import any manual boxes into Oz from about 91-92 on, and the last ones are like hens teeth to find.

The only others, such as this one and a couple of E39 523i cars I have looked at, are private imports with all the possible problems (read rust) that that can bring.

The x is a private import from Fiji in early 2001 with a yet-to-be-fully verified history but is a 2 owner I believe. Suffice to say it will have to be really cheap before I jump.

I owned an '96 Volvo 850 AWD from new for which the dealer supplied the wrong diameter spare. Use of it for 15 km when the car was 2 years old required the ENTIRE DRIVETRAIN of the vehicle to be replaced (by Volvo) over an 18 month period. Bit by bit !

We were without the car for a total of over 6 months during that period and I am threfore very wary of something rare and unusual.

Mind you, in 1996, the 850 AWD estate with the soft turboed 2.5 and a 5 speed manual box was a very nice car to drive - the best we could find in a 7 seater !

No, it didn't handle like an E34, but they didn't come with 7 seats - what a pain having 4 children is !!!:D

Paul in NZ
01-24-2007, 02:15 AM
unless you really really need the 4wd i would pass.....As you say too rare.

wingman
01-24-2007, 03:52 AM
Make sure you can get full Au compliance and that it can be registered in ALL states otherwise you may have issues not only registering but selling on as well. You've probably already done this homework but if you have to pay big$$$ to get it complianced it might change your mind. I like the idea of an AWD BMW. Kinda like a cross between my wife's Subaru and my E34. I love the grip of the Subaru in the wet and on dirt roads. It just goes around the corners with no fuss or bother.

Zeuk in Oz
01-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Make sure you can get full Au compliance and that it can be registered in ALL states otherwise you may have issues not only registering but selling on as well. You've probably already done this homework but if you have to pay big$$$ to get it complianced it might change your mind. I like the idea of an AWD BMW. Kinda like a cross between my wife's Subaru and my E34. I love the grip of the Subaru in the wet and on dirt roads. It just goes around the corners with no fuss or bother.
Thanks, Tony - something I hadn't considered. It has been registered in NSW for 6 years or so.

rob101
01-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks for the info Rob. Do you have a link to the 525it as I am somewhat concerned about the extra drivetrain components that I don't really need but would be nice to have ?
link to touring (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/BMW/525i/details.aspx?Model=525i&__Nne=20&__N=4294967079%2079%204294966850+834+285+257&Make=BMW&State=Queensland&silo=1003&state_id=79&distance=25&Cr=1&seot=0&__sid=10F0B3412383&R=393108&__Ns=pCar_Price_Decimal%7C0%7C%7CpCar_PrivateSpeci alFlag_Int32%7C1%7C%7CpCar_ImageCount_Int32%7C1&sort_type=2&trecs=11)

Zeuk in Oz
01-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks Rob, but a little too high a mileage - same as the one I would be replacing.

Cheers,

Bo

rob101
01-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks Rob, but a little too high a mileage - same as the one I would be replacing.

Cheers,

Bo
and the same as mine lol, didn't you just get some head work done on your 525i? might have an interested customer (myself or my gf) need fun bmw without straightline speed that will scary me when i am a captive passenger.