PDA

View Full Version : Engine cutting out/loosing all power/not really sure lol

Spice Boy
01-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Hiya...

I only noticed it at high revs in 2nd gear but now its doing it during gear change and in other gears...

As the revs reach over 5k the engine will seem to lose all electrical power, like the plugs aren't sparking, and effectively die for a split second then come back to life....

The car runs perfectly fine on idle and up to 4.5-5k revs but then this intermittent problem shows its face...

Its not constant, sometimes it wont do it for a while, then it will suddenly start doing it....

Could it be corroded earth points int he engine bay? If not then what are the other likely suspects?

As luck would have it, I still have my M50 520 here and that car never did it once in over a year so If you could recommend changing somthing then I would most likely have it on that engine.....

HELP!

nizmainiac
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
coil packs perhaps?

Spice Boy
01-23-2007, 11:02 AM
When you say coil packs, Im guessing thats what sits on top of the spark plugs?

how much are these new? I have a full set spare on my other M50 engine but Could be worth knowing?

nizmainiac
01-23-2007, 11:04 AM
yep, thats where they sit, i don't know how much they are new though, try your spare ones first

Ferret
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
If you're in the uk, I just got two new ones for £18/USD36 ish a piece from eurocarparts...

However if it's doing it at speed it's more likely your crank position sensor starting to crap out on you.

Spice Boy
01-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Is only doing it at speed either in gear or at gear change....

If this was to go completely would this be a huge problem?

Also, Is it easy to replace? :)

Ferret
01-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Is only doing it at speed either in gear or at gear change....

If this was to go completely would this be a huge problem?

Also, Is it easy to replace? :)

The CPS is easy to replace on a 525, you can just get at it at the front right of the engine with an allen key...

If it fails completely the engine wont run.

Spice Boy
01-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Well if its an easy job to do then I will replace it today and see if its makes a difference...

Is the sensor different for the 2.0 M50 and 2.5 M50? as the doner engine is the 2.0 M50 engine?

Ferret
01-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Well if its an easy job to do then I will replace it today and see if its makes a difference...

Is the sensor different for the 2.0 M50 and 2.5 M50? as the doner engine is the 2.0 M50 engine?

afaik they're the same part, though I'd compare them for part numbers first!