PDA

View Full Version : Non starting M60

Sidney Rough-Diamond
01-23-2007, 05:15 AM
Car fired up first thing this morning and run fine. After about 15 miles I stop for gas ( not that it was that low ) and then it won't start. Won't turn over or anything .All the lights on the dash light up but go to turn it over and nothing happens. Help ! Please ! Thanks !

pingu
01-23-2007, 07:52 AM
You're going to need to do some more diagnostics before anyone can really help. It could be a duff starter motor. On the other hand, it could also be a bad connection (I've had a similar problem, even though my starter motor was fine - do a search for my posts).

Ferret
01-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Check your fuses first, then, does it clunk/click at all when you turn the key?

Do your lights dim at all when you turn the key?

Tiger
01-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah... I would check the main fusible link first then go from there... basic starter diagnostic.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
01-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Yeah... I would check the main fusible link first then go from there... basic starter diagnostic.

Had to dump it at a gas station and leave it to get to work without trying anythingout,other than someone trying to start it with a battery power pack/booster type thing. No click or anything,turn the key to the third position and nothing happens. I'll try a few things later.
Thanks guys

Sidney Rough-Diamond
01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Ok, so a mate went and looked at the car and was going to recover it back home for me. He tried to start the car and she went first time and run ok.So he then turns the car off and tries several times again and the car fires up fine each time. After a 20 min run or so, the car wont start each time unless its left to sit ( and cool down ? ). So it seems like something won't let it even crank over and fire up when hot. Any ideas ?

Thanks

632 Regal
01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
fusable link under rear seat.

Ok, so a mate went and looked at the car and was going to recover it back home for me. He tried to start the car and she went first time and run ok.So he then turns the car off and tries several times again and the car fires up fine each time. After a 20 min run or so, the car wont start each time unless its left to sit ( and cool down ? ). So it seems like something won't let it even crank over and fire up when hot. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Ferret
01-24-2007, 07:51 AM
fusable link under rear seat.

That, or your starter solenoid is shafted and is only functioning while cold.

CarloE34
01-24-2007, 06:05 PM
If that won't help i think the best way you can do is to try another computer.
Allmost sure that will solve the problem.Bin there with my 530 a few years back.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
01-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions,all. Past couple of days it's been ok,only to come back and bite me today when I needed it least. I pulled the rear seat and found the fuseable link, it looks ok to me.There is no corrosion or anything.I guess this is perhaps why it was suggested ?
I'm not sure what to do with the starter motor, other than buy a complete new part and hope thats it. Can anything be done with the solenoid ? I hate to think how much the ECU would be,even second hand I guess they sell for good money.

Thanks for all the replies

pingu
01-28-2007, 04:46 PM
The fusible link can have hair line cracks - unless you undid the bolts and checked the condition of the fusible link by wiggling it around you can't be certain. On my car, when I had the same problem, I'd already had the fusible link replaced (just a few months before I had the same starter problem) so I think the fusible link might be a red herring.

The starter motor was fine on my 540 (and when I had exactly the same problem on a 525i previously, I replaced the starter motor which was a waste of money as the problem still occured afterwards): when I used a wire to connect the starter motor solenoid directly to +12V at the B+ jump start terminal under the bonnet, the car started fine (make sure that you're in neutral if you do this). You could add such a wire by splicing into the black/yellow wire inside the fuse box (make sure you splice in after the starter motor inhibit relay). Using the wire is a bit of a pain, especially if it's raining, but better than having to wait for 45 minutes or so while the engine cools down.

I fixed the problem for good by using an intervening relay (which I mounted in the fuse box inside the engine compartment) as a "booster relay". The wire (black/yellow) that normally goes to the starter motor solenoid is now used to energise the coil of the booster relay. One of switched contacts of the booster relay is connected to +12V at the jumpstart terminal inside the engine compartment (I should have added a fuse but haven't got round to this yet). The other switched contact of the booster relay is connected to the black/yellow wire of the starter motor solenoid.

Thus when I now start the car, the old black/yellow wire no longer connects to the starter motor but instead is used to energise the booster relay. The booster relay connects the starter motor solenoid directly to +12V at the B+ jump start terminal under the bonnet.

Foe more details of the symtoms I was having, look at:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26494&highlight=starter