PDA

View Full Version : Steering Failure--help Please Help

tonyvt328is
01-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Can Anyone Answer The Question ? Why Does My E36 Now Have No Power Steering. The Pump Is Quiet. No Leaks. Just Had Fluid Flushed. (it Was Brown)

Started Out That Just Some Time The Wheel Would Sort Of Feel Stuck But Once Moved It Was Ok. (happened Hot)

Now With Cold Weather No Assist. Sat In Garage For 10-15 Min.. Warmed Up Then Steering Returned. Drove For Half Hour Ok. Cold Its Gone Again...

I Had Them Flush It, But Its Still Like No Power Assist????

I Need Help...

NO ONE CAN ANSWER THIS....

tonyvt328is
01-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Can Anyone Answer The Question ? Why Does My E36 Now Have No Power Steering. The Pump Is Quiet. No Leaks. Just Had Fluid Flushed. (it Was Brown)

Started Out That Just Some Time The Wheel Would Sort Of Feel Stuck But Once Moved It Was Ok. (happened Hot)

Now With Cold Weather No Assist. Sat In Garage For 10-15 Min.. Warmed Up Then Steering Returned. Drove For Half Hour Ok. Cold Its Gone Again...

I Need Help...

NO ONE CAN ANSWER THIS....

Drove it in today at 5 degrees f.. Steering feels consistant for the most part with about... the same feel as no or very little power assist. There is no noise from the pump or anything else while turning...

Im getting frustrated with my first BMW...:(

winfred
01-23-2007, 09:08 AM
depending on the year the power steering pump can be junk, the e46s (some late e36s may have the shitty pump too) have a weak pump that the shaft snaps back inside of the pump, take a screwdriver and see if the pulley will move toward the front of the car (more then a mm or two), if it does your pump crapped

tonyvt328is
01-23-2007, 12:58 PM
depending on the year the power steering pump can be junk, the e46s (some late e36s may have the shitty pump too) have a weak pump that the shaft snaps back inside of the pump, take a screwdriver and see if the pulley will move toward the front of the car (more then a mm or two), if it does your pump crapped

Thanks for that. I will check it...

Just took it for a drive on the highway... after a good warm up it was ok again...huhhh????

Again there is never any pump howl at all....

winfred
01-23-2007, 01:22 PM
when they snap a shaft theres nothing to howl as the pump is not turning

tonyvt328is
01-25-2007, 04:55 PM
when they snap a shaft theres nothing to howl as the pump is not turning

the pump for sure is turning. And when you get to the steering end stop it howls like any car does.

Is there an adjustment on the steering box that controls the amount of preasure required to have the power assist kick in? I keep reading on other sites of this sort of adjustment on some other models. But no one ever updates their posts as to the results..?

Loosen the lock nut turn the center screw?....on the steering box???

could it be the steering shaft/ universals? It seems like the power works once enough preasure is turned on the wheel.>> ?????

winfred
01-25-2007, 08:46 PM
that car has a rack which is not adjustable, nothing is really adjustable on that cars steering system, hard to say what's the problem without getting my hands dirty on a weird problem like this

tonyvt328is
01-26-2007, 11:17 AM
that car has a rack which is not adjustable, nothing is really adjustable on that cars steering system, hard to say what's the problem without getting my hands dirty on a weird problem like this

Thanks for taking the time to input your ideas!!

Tony

tonyvt328is
01-30-2007, 12:11 PM

Now I know this car has varriable speed assist. Couldnt it be something with the way the varriable works?
I was reading the Bently manual yesterday and the first thing it says is to check the strut bearings.

Wouldnt the pump howl because it works hard if it were something binding anywhere?

Im going crazy...

winfred
01-30-2007, 06:26 PM
if i had to guess the valving in the pump may be bad and it's bypassing most of the pressure back to the tank

tonyvt328is
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Talking with a friend with an e28 turns out he had a simmilar problem. It was just the steering shaft universal!!!

Sprayed the heck out of it with wd40...FIXED!!!!!

I had my doubts but am very happy!!!!

Spead the word ...check your universals....

(just had my drive shaft replaced too... universal locked up causing major vibration))

:) :D :)

winfred
01-31-2007, 01:02 PM
oh you had that type of problem, i was under the impression that the steering boost was coming and going, like loosing assist pulling into a parking space

Talking with a friend with an e28 turns out he had a simmilar problem. It was just the steering shaft universal!!!

Sprayed the heck out of it with wd40...FIXED!!!!!

I had my doubts but am very happy!!!!

Spead the word ...check your universals....

(just had my drive shaft replaced too... universal locked up causing major vibration))

:) :D :)

e30_in_korea
02-05-2007, 06:31 AM
My $0.02…..

If your fluid was brown, you may need more than a fluid flush and fill. It is possible that sediment has settled on the bottom of your power steering fluid reservoir partially blocking the flow of fluid. On some reservoirs there is a screen-type filter that traps foreign debris before the fluid is fed to the steering rack. On my 1989 325i, I had to remove the reservoir and flush it several times with mineral spirits. I was shocked at how much gunk had accumulated at the bottom of the reservoir.

If you are pressed for time, it might make more sense to buy a new one rather than spending a lot of time cleaning a dirty reservoir. If I have it to do over again – and I might – I will replace the reservoir.

Good luck…..

Ohtori
03-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah, they recommend never cleaning those reservoirs, only replacing as you can never flush all of the sediment out. And it's standard practice to replace it if you have a failure in the steering system that causes debris.

And I got quoted at $26CDN, so it's not going to break the bank.