PDA

View Full Version : Learn me about modifying wheels!

AngryPopTart
01-21-2007, 09:36 PM
So I have the typical factory 15's that came with 525i's. The ones that I believe are just called bottlecaps or a variation thereof. The ones with the big plastic center caps. Anyway, I would like to do some custom stuff to them, including some paint work, but one of the ideas included deleting the centercap. However, this leaves that little lip around the wheel, and the gap for removing the centercap.

Would it be possible to have the wheels machined, removing enough material to get rid of the lip and gap and having the transition changed to a curve instead of a lip and just leaving the lugs exposed. If so, where would I go to have this done? Or is this too much of a safetey concern?

I have seen other wheels on BMW's, some of which I think are factory, that already have this look.

Please don't reply with something like, "just buy the other wheels, you'll waste less time and money."

Edit: Or could I have a shop weld the lip and gap up and then machine it?

winfred
01-21-2007, 10:02 PM
theres plenty of meat to round over the lip it's just doing it without making a mess of the wheel, i have no idea who to suggest, maybe a grinder with the rim on the back of the car so it can be spun slowly with the engine while you dress down the lip

BMWCCA1
01-21-2007, 10:11 PM
There's an old BMW chrome center cap that fits the hole in the wheel perfectly, something like that used on the E12 530i. Then I'd paint the centers black up to the face, hiding the grove the old hub-cap fit in. I've done it just for a lark on some snow tire wheels a while back. Looked like an Alpina if you squinted and had had a few too much to drink. Better than the wheel looks stock, that's for sure. I wouldn't spend any money doing it since you can easily find real BBS from the '95 525i/530i, or even the 16" from the e39s, for under $400 quite often.

AngryPopTart
01-21-2007, 10:16 PM
theres plenty of meat to round over the lip it's just doing it without making a mess of the wheel, i have no idea who to suggest, maybe a grinder with the rim on the back of the car so it can be spun slowly with the engine while you dress down the lip

As much as I'd love to avoid paying someone to do it, I'm not about to attempt something like this. The extent of mods for me was taking S10 wheels and grinding out the centers to fit over 3rd gen camaro hubs. Maybe I should just fill the lip and gap with bondo and shape it that way. I was planning on black centers anyway. haha!

markus
01-21-2007, 10:26 PM
what are you talking about? just get some nice factory or aftermarket wheels like others have mentioned. at the end you will just have some mangled up stock bottlecaps you dumped a crapload of money into and arent worth any more than what you started it. bottlecaps are ugly as well IMO.

AngryPopTart
01-21-2007, 10:33 PM
what are you talking about? just get some nice factory or aftermarket wheels like others have mentioned. at the end you will just have some mangled up stock bottlecaps you dumped a crapload of money into and arent worth any more than what you started it. bottlecaps are ugly as well IMO.

Thanks for reading the OP.

"Please don't reply with something like, "just buy the other wheels, you'll waste less time and money."

632 Regal
01-21-2007, 11:07 PM
I would tend to agree with markus...sorry

SumDude
01-24-2007, 01:24 AM
I am using some stock ones from a E39 that I think look trick on the E34. But as far as a mod, I like the idea using the engine to slowly turn the wheel if the car was on jackstands. Using a grinder and the constant speed you might be able to get a good round bevel. Just like on a lathe.

Alexlind123
01-24-2007, 01:56 AM
I would tend to agree with markus...sorry

Yea dude, but that isnt what he asked.

Paul in NZ
01-24-2007, 02:22 AM
a good machine shop with abig lathe could do it.Ask around your area for people who repair alloy wheels,they would have exactly the right machinery and skils to to what you want.I was thinkingthe other day how i could acheve a completely flush centre cap

AngryPopTart
01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Okay, another idea would be to just custom paint the factory wheel to make it look less lame. I do autobody & paint for a living so this is not a problem, but coming up with a picture of these wheels is hard enough, let alone one you can play with in photoshop. What do you think of this rough goof-around?

Macv
01-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Wow, I actually like it. Thats rare.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
a set real cheap

AngryPopTart
01-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Comon guys, anything is possible. Here's the original image as well in case you have any ideas.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Comon guys, anything is possible. Here's the original image as well in case you have any ideas.

I have two sets..you want one?

Macv
01-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I made one or two, but they're dumb and ugly looking ideas. good luck

AngryPopTart
01-28-2007, 07:20 AM
I wonder if those wheels are strong enough that you could have some of the fins milled away. hehe