PDA

View Full Version : How to remove main beam bulb holder?

skeggysteve
01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi All,

I know it should be a simple 'turn the bulb holder' but mine won't turn, either side.

Much WD40 applied over several days but they still won't move.

I'm guessing that they are rusted to the sealed beam unit so I don't want to get to brutal with them.

So any ideas?

Regards,

Steve

Rus
01-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Look closely at the bulb base and the little metal tabs that "lock" it in place. Sometimes the base notches are a little short (like if you did the 9005 conversion) and the retaining tabs will actually snap down behind the notch and effectively lock the bulb in place. When it happened on my 9005 conversion bulbs I simply used a small screwdriver to back the tabs off a bit and remove the bulb. HTH

skeggysteve
01-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Look closely at the bulb base and the little metal tabs that "lock" it in place. Sometimes the base notches are a little short (like if you did the 9005 conversion) and the retaining tabs will actually snap down behind the notch and effectively lock the bulb in place. When it happened on my 9005 conversion bulbs I simply used a small screwdriver to back the tabs off a bit and remove the bulb. HTH

Rus,

Many thanks for your reply but I think I may have mis-led you.

My problem is getting the bulb holder off the sealed beam unit - 2 inch dia plastic 'fitting' on the back of the seal beam. It WILL not turn:(

If it helps I'll post a picture ?

Regards,

Steve

Rus
01-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Rus,

Many thanks for your reply but I think I may have mis-led you.

My problem is getting the bulb holder off the sealed beam unit - 2 inch dia plastic 'fitting' on the back of the seal beam. It WILL not turn:(

If it helps I'll post a picture ?

Regards,

Steve

A picture would definitely help. I'm not familiar with the sealed beam headlights, only the ellipsoid variants, but I'm sure someone here has the know-how for your situation. :)

fin
01-22-2007, 10:49 AM
A word of caution.

Once finished, at least if you are working on the left side lights, check that you haven't pushed too hard on the coolant relief line that runs to the overflow tank and have snapped the line. The line runs a couple of inches into the hose and is clamped far up the hose.

I broke the line changing out the bulbs (didn't notice the break since the line runs so far into the hose) and overheated the motor. Head gasket blown at a minimum.

The REPLACEMENT MOTOR is arriving today...........Nothing like adding three zeroes to the cost of a repair.

Fin

skeggysteve
01-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Many thanks for the replys, I'll put a picture up asap. Probably be the weekend.

Steve