PDA

View Full Version : E30 guys, M20 inquirey...

mitchc
01-21-2007, 12:25 PM
This is message I posted to the E34 forum, but think I might get some help from you folks also. 1990 525i/5spd, 160k miles: Compression is 160 psi for all cyl's, engine was overheated and now runs badly, starts okay, but stumbles and stalls with any throttle input. Some suggestions incl. vac leak due to the oil leak from head is disrupting the PCV system. I guess I now need to accept that I need to yank the cyl head and do a valve job...

"So, I've identified a oil leak from the head above #3 exhaust port, due to overheating. I am going to pull the head soon, but am wondering just how much it can be serviced before it has to be scrapped. Do I need to start shopping for a new casting somewhere or is there much that can be machined on these things? I don't know if anything has been done to it before I bought the car, when it had just over 100K mi. (it now has 160K)
Any experieces appreciated".

Mitch

winfred
01-21-2007, 06:39 PM
if it's got 160 across the board and is not pressurizing the cooling system with combustion gasses or making nasty sounds the engine is fine, you may of cooked a temp sensor or something