PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Straps....keep your eyes open (m)

Scott H
04-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Over the weekend, after a trip to the store, I walked back to my car and noticed something under the gas tank. It looked like a large twig or stick, but when I got under to take a closer look it was the passenger side fuel tank strap......rusted and split in the middle........hanging. Luckily, I only had 1/8 tank of gas at the time, so drove home and parked it. The driver's side strap was in much better condition, so I was comfortable letting it sit until I got replacement parts.

I called BMA and immediately ordered the parts just in case. But the dealer, after applying my BMWCCA discount, had the same price of $18.50 on each (L/R) fuel tank strap, and $1/ea for two bolts. I wasn't going to get the parts from BMA until about Thursday, so I opted for the dealer since I couldn't afford to have my daily driver parked that long.

This is just a heads up to those of you who drive your E34 daily, and especially in the winter with salt/snow/ice. Inspect your fuel tank straps underneath the tank, and behind the bumper where they bolt up. The parts are cheap, and the install is super easy.

bahnstormer
04-26-2004, 09:32 AM
wow weird
i recently developed a leak between the strap and the tank
so in this case it looks like my straps are stronger than yours heheh
but yeah i just jb welded the fuel tank and haven't seen a bit of gas since =]

Bill R.
04-26-2004, 09:54 AM
problem here :p

Over the weekend, after a trip to the store, I walked back to my car and noticed something under the gas tank. It looked like a large twig or stick, but when I got under to take a closer look it was the passenger side fuel tank strap......rusted and split in the middle........hanging. Luckily, I only had 1/8 tank of gas at the time, so drove home and parked it. The driver's side strap was in much better condition, so I was comfortable letting it sit until I got replacement parts.

I called BMA and immediately ordered the parts just in case. But the dealer, after applying my BMWCCA discount, had the same price of $18.50 on each (L/R) fuel tank strap, and $1/ea for two bolts. I wasn't going to get the parts from BMA until about Thursday, so I opted for the dealer since I couldn't afford to have my daily driver parked that long.

This is just a heads up to those of you who drive your E34 daily, and especially in the winter with salt/snow/ice. Inspect your fuel tank straps underneath the tank, and behind the bumper where they bolt up. The parts are cheap, and the install is super easy.

George M
04-26-2004, 10:53 AM
may car is from Palm Beach Florida and time spent in Michigan it has been stored winters. Gas tank straps and in fact whole undercarriage it immaculate. I tooth brush it weekly.
:D :D
George
Givin' ya some sheeot man.

JR'Z 525
04-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Might be a good idea to inspect regularly on any vehicle with tank straps. One of my plant electricians was telling me this morning his strap retaining nuts vibrated off the gas tank of his late model full size Dodge P/U last week in Anderson SC. He was thankfull it came loose where it did as he had 30 gallons and was heading for Interstate 85 when it happened.
JR

Scott H
04-26-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm sending one strap to be covertly installed on Bill's car, and one on yours George.....muahahahah :D

G-man
04-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Just to let you know you're not the only one Scott.
I had to change mine 2 weeks ago. The drivers side strap had completely rusted out.
The passenger side was still OK but I wanted to change it anyway.

George M
04-26-2004, 02:14 PM
that all that have bad gas tank straps should adhere precisely to the BMW procedure for replacement. This is quite rigorous as it involves removing the gas tank and doing a complete purge and argon fill. What has been found is two fold:
1. Many times not only the straps let go on old Bimmers driven through the rust belt but the tanks themselves rust out. This is a safety hazard that needs to be addressed immediately.
2. When a single strap goes, this causes the tank to vibrate putting undue fatigue on age hardened hoses leading to and from the tank/fuel pump also promoting possible rupture and fire hazard.
Recommended replacment practice includes all rearward components including suspension arms, differential and all items damaged by excessive salt corrosion.
To all those with this misfortune, Good Luck.
:p
George

Unregistered
04-27-2004, 03:14 AM
When you say the tanks rust...i thought they were plastic...mine is anyways

darren

George M
04-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Darren,
I thought I made it obvious...a joke. I was ribbing Scott about driving his prize Bimmer in the snow. The giveaway was the last part where I suggested he replace all rearward components...lol.
The fuel tank on my '90 E-32 is steel. Would be very suprised if the fuel tank on an E-34 is plastic...but perhaps a change was made at some point during the production run if your tank is plastic.
George

DueyT
04-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Darren,
I thought I made it obvious...a joke. I was ribbing Scott about driving his prize Bimmer in the snow. The giveaway was the last part where I suggested he replace all rearward components...lol.
The fuel tank on my '90 E-32 is steel. Would be very suprised if the fuel tank on an E-34 is plastic...but perhaps a change was made at some point during the production run if your tank is plastic.
George

Real men drive with Nikasil AND in the snow! :p

Cheers,
Duey

Scott H
04-27-2004, 10:47 AM
The only eyes that my car is a prize to are my own :(

I was ribbing Scott about driving his prize Bimmer in the snow.

InfernoM3
04-27-2004, 12:20 PM

Hi Scott,

How did you install and do you have the part numbers. Do I just order one strap and 2 bolts? I have the same problem. My car being from chicago for 10 yrs.

Scott H
04-27-2004, 12:24 PM
How did you install and do you have the part numbers. Do I just order one strap and 2 bolts? I have the same problem. My car being from chicago for 10 yrs.

I can obtain part numbers from the ETK at home, but you need two straps and two bolts. There are some rubber pads, but you can probably reuse the ones you have. I would have replaced these but the dealer didn't stock them. Are you in Chicago? That is where I am. I will edit this post with replacement instructions later tonight when I can provide part numbers at the same time.

Unregistered
04-27-2004, 01:53 PM
like a strong black abs plastic, but certainly not steel

anyone else have thoughts on this?

George M
04-27-2004, 02:26 PM
did you put a magnet on it?....magnet sticks to mine and its black too...lol
George

Scott H
04-27-2004, 03:00 PM
did you put a magnet on it?....magnet sticks to mine and its black too...lol
George

Mine is not plastic either.....pretty sure plastic doesn't rust, and my tank has a bit of that on one egde too. :( :( :(

This whole topic is upsetting.....I'm sorry I ever brought it up

George M
04-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Scott...maybe the gas in the tank is magnetic.
Cheer up brother...we had snow flurries in Detroit today....gonna be 78F on Thursday.
Think I hear a couple of birdies calling my name.....Fore!
George

InfernoM3
04-28-2004, 04:53 PM
will edit this post with replacement instructions later tonight when I can provide part numbers at the same time.

Hey Scott , you got those part numbers and write up. weekend is coming up. Thanks

G-man
04-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Part numbers for the straps for a 94 525i were as follows:

16-11-1-179-159
16-11-1-179-160

Don't remember which side was the left and which the right, I think you can tell by the last digit and whether it ends in an odd or even #. One side is longer then the other. Don't have the part numbers for the bolts as I re-used the old ones but, if I had to do it over I would have ordered at the same time and changed.
Good time to change the gas filter as I had to remove it anyway to get to the passenger side strap.

Hope this helps.

myles
04-28-2004, 08:57 PM
My tank is also plastic. I think it has something to do with the market that the car is sold for. The other difference that happens with this is that the fuel pump and tank sender do not bolt down to the tank, thay are held down by a big plastic screw down lid. It is a real pain to loosen and tighten. I ended up make a tool to help loosen it and tighten it.

Myles

632 Regal
04-28-2004, 09:44 PM
my 94 530 is steel, no more airtime for me as I flund a scratch on it, wax didnt even help this time.

winfred
04-28-2004, 10:15 PM
i've never seen a plastic tank in a e34 or e32 in the hundred or so cars i've worked on/scrapped

Bill R.
04-28-2004, 11:15 PM
plastic and metal tanks and the plastic does have a big nut holding the pump\sending unit in just like a dodge...

QUOTE=winfred]i've never seen a plastic tank in a e34 or e32 in the hundred or so cars i've worked on/scrapped[/QUOTE]

winfred
04-28-2004, 11:31 PM
or the fun fun fun 7/900 volvo

Bill R.
04-28-2004, 11:35 PM
hands on reaching through that friggin plate to get at it..

or the fun fun fun 7/900 volvo

InfernoM3
05-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Ok I would like to fix my straps. one is all rusted and loose. Can someone tell me how to fix it. I'm gonnna go order the parts from BMA. I don't have to remove the fuel tank right. Just unbolt the old fuel strap replace new one. One side at a time. Any hints would be great. Thanks.