PDA

View Full Version : Need more help with ICV removal

brendanm
01-21-2007, 03:54 AM
1990 535i auto, intermittent starting problem, idle issue surging slightly. The problem appeared suddenly, always starts but sometimes needs extra gas, seems to go away when warmed up. Most prevalent when idling in park, although does try and stall out at stoplight occasionally. Idle low at 500rpm.

Had a half hearted attempt at pulling it out (the ICV) this afternoon, but other then busting the tab off the rubber bracket holding the ICV in place, I had zero success in removing the hoses etc... Was afraid to bust something else.

Does the rubber boot - #8 that the ICV's connected to, have to come off as well, and if so, how do you get enough clearance to pull it away from it's fitting to #1 and it's connection on the opposite end?

Or does the ICV slip out of the boot - #8, after removing the connection #10 running out the bottom of the ICV? And if so, how the heck do you get that little hose off it's connection with the ICV?

Like I said, I unplugged the ICV and cleaned the plug as best I could. Broke the rubber tab off the bracket #18, but had no success actually removing the ICV #17.

Any and all suggestions welcome. I've got a date with a money sucking mechanic shortly, and I will replace the fuel filter and likely the air filter tomorrow, but I'd like to narrow the search somewhat, if not solve it, before turning it over to the man.

Randell
01-21-2007, 06:28 AM
take number 12 out of number 8 (the intake boot), then take the intake boot off, then you have heaps more room to wiggle the icv out of number 10... it's in there tight but work it back and forth and it will eventually come off.. unless the rubber on these parts is really old and stiff you won't break it by using lots of force.. if they do break they were probably due for replacement anyway!

i sprayed carb cleaner into the intake manifold with the throttle closed and then opened, and took the AFM off and sprayed some in there.. then i put it all back on but left the boot off between the filter and the AFM (14), started the car and put lots of carb cleaner into the AFM... did **** all though!

i think my TPS is faulty