PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof/interior light gremlin(s) fixed:

Beachcomber
04-26-2004, 08:48 AM
First problem: I was experiencing a situation where the interior light fuse was intermittently blowing. I would replace the fuse and it may last one month or only one day

Second problem: The sunroof started acting up. Basically, the sunrrof would not close or open all the way, nor would it always obey the button press. It would sometimes CLOSE when OPEN was pressed, etc. It appeared to be very random.

In an effort to diagnose the sunroof problem, I followed the bentley manual instructions to remove the sunroof motor. As I was removing the motor, there was a small spark and some smoke where the motor rubbed against a wiring harness.

Out of curiosity, I decided to try the interior lights again, as I had just replaced the fuse - NOTHING.

Now, I decided to try the sunroof motor operation while the motor was removed. It worked flawlessly, and I could watch the motor gear and cam/switch operate with each press of the button. One-touch open/close worked fine.

I patched up the wiring harness that shorted, rerouted the harness a little differently to prevent rubbing on the sunroof motor and added a bit of insulation to the motor itself in case it were to ever contact the harness again.

After reassembling everything, I gave it all another try. As it turns out, the 2 problems were directly related and I was able to fix them both!

I really hope this helps someone else diagnose a similar problem.