PDA

View Full Version : The joy of power and torque

saluki540i
01-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I know I'm beating the horse - BUT... Yesterday was a beautiful clear day here in Carbondale, IL so I snuck home at lunch and grabbed the 540. I justify this by running the air, and fresh air doors, checking all the functions, just to make sure all the seals stay fresh. I rarely drive the car so it's always a treat. Anyhow, I tooled around a while to get the temps up and headed back. I just love the way the car squats a little in the back when you roll it on and the cams really come on. It just pulls so seamlessly and builds like a really fast Panzer tank. It ends up being kind of a let down when I get home and pull it back into the garage for another extended break. Sigh...

Paul in NZ
01-20-2007, 08:01 PM
you are not alone......

Alexlind123
01-20-2007, 08:45 PM
I didnt drive my car for 4 days while snow was covering my driveway, and i was already missing it by the time i drove it last night. I had really forgotten how much fun it is to drive. I absolutely love it. Is it bad to have an emotional attachment to an inanimate object?

Gayle, you probably know the answer to this!

Macv
01-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I haven't gotten to drive my 540 for about 2 weeks due to the snow and ice :(. I've been driving a wrangler and a $250 87 P.O.S. Camaro we picked up for fun. When I get a chance to drive the bimmer, it's going to feel like heaven. I feel for you guys :(

Denton
01-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I haven't gotten to drive my 540 for about 2 weeks due to the snow and ice :(. I've been driving a wrangler and a $250 87 P.O.S. Camaro we picked up for fun. When I get a chance to drive the bimmer, it's going to feel like heaven. I feel for you guys :(

Snow and ice? News to me. :D

Boom n Zoom
01-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Snow and ice? News to me. :D

Isn't that the stuff that builds up in the freezer and the other stuff you have little trays of for drinks??

;)

Boom n Zoom
01-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah I hear ya,

540's been in the shop for the last two weeks with a AUS$6K transmission rebuild :( ...hoping to pick it up next week or the week after.

The up side is that it should really drive nicely and hook-up properly in 'sport' mode.....really looking forward it. :D

Cheers!

Robert K
01-20-2007, 11:53 PM
That's about 60 minutes from Carbondale. If you've never heard of it, you take highway 13 east through Marion to Harrisburg, then take a left on highway 45. Now I live in Western Kentucky, only about 100 miles from Eldorado. It was somewhat suprising seeing someone post from my old stomping grounds.

My 1990 535i is also a fair weather queen. Actually had it out today. It's lowered with 17" style five wheels on it. Brings a smile to my face every time I come back to it in a parking lot. I usually end up muttering under my breath, "Damn that's a nice looking car!" Then I smile, get in, and drive off.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Macv
01-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Snow and ice? News to me

Not from snow/ice storms, but recently, roads in Muncie are 100% undrivable in the morning. And I'm not driving my baby in after-ice salty roads that are just going to get her dirty and piss me off :) Rather keep her warm and safe.

...and clean

Macv
01-21-2007, 12:49 AM
I usually end up muttering under my breath, "Damn that's a nice looking car!" Then I smile, get in, and drive off.

Exactly what I do. My girlfriend sometimes says "She's so cute." But that's just to keep me happy.

saluki540i
01-21-2007, 03:30 PM
That's funny, I fly over Eldorado sometimes - it is a good visual landmark, also Paducah. Even funnier - the predecessor to the 540i was a zinnabar red 535i manual w/ black interior. I'd kill to have that car back. It was bought new at motor werks in Barrington IL. My dad traded it in on the 540 back in 97 at Laurel Motors in Westmont, from the original owner, and 25K on the odom. I'm now the 3rd owner after talking him into selling it to me. I'd love to see your 5 sometime. Where in W. KY? Ever up my way?

Denton
01-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Not from snow/ice storms, but recently, roads in Muncie are 100% undrivable in the morning. And I'm not driving my baby in after-ice salty roads that are just going to get her dirty and piss me off :) Rather keep her warm and safe.

...and clean

That's bizzare. We actually got our first snow this morning...I've got to go pick up a friend in Indy at the airport in a few hours.

I did realize today that you don't need ASC+T if you know what you're doing. I'm glad mine doesn't have it. :)

dauchande
01-22-2007, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Denton
Snow and ice? News to me.

Isn't that the stuff that builds up in the freezer and the other stuff you have little trays of for drinks??

Agreed, the only sliding I'm doing requires the Traction Control to be off.

80 degrees in Orlando today :)

mattyb
01-22-2007, 06:47 AM
know the feeling, everyday!