PDA

View Full Version : OT - been watching V-22 Ospreys landing all day

Robin-535im
01-19-2007, 07:02 PM
I can see the airspace above the runway from my desk.

Those things are creepy when they fly overhead... like a sci-fi ship or something. They sound like a pair of Harley's in the sky.

http://www.navair.navy.mil/v22/

Dash01
01-19-2007, 08:55 PM
I wonder how well those things handle battle damage to and/or loss of power in one engine. In that case, what holds up that side of the plane?

guinness
01-19-2007, 09:04 PM
The biggest thing I don't like about that bird is that you can only mount guns on the rear ramp.

Dash01
01-19-2007, 09:27 PM
The biggest thing I don't like about that bird is that you can only mount guns on the rear ramp.

That would be only one of my concerns: Lose an engine or blade, and suddenly you have the world's largest asymmetrical speed brake, coupled with remaining thrust and lift from the good engine that you cannot use. How do you maintain stability and control under such circumstances? How does the aircraft do anything but a barrel roll into a graveyard spin?

colo525i
01-19-2007, 09:58 PM
The engines are linked (2 turboshaft engines) If one dies, both props keep moving. The biggest problem is a temporary loss of lift that helicopters can experience when climbing/hovering. Normal helicopter will just drop until it catches lift again (freaky but not super dangerous) It can affect one rotor and send the v-22 into a sideways flipping motion. Spooky stuff indeed.

guinness
01-19-2007, 10:14 PM
My last Squadron is getting ready to deploy with PHROGs (CH-46) for the last time before switching over to the V-22, say what you will about high tech but I'll miss that 40 year old bird.

JetMech
01-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Ospreys rock my freaking world. I'm somewhat in love with them.

KenB
01-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Been a long time coming for this bird.

This was a major project when I worked at Allison Gas Turbines R&D in the 80's photographing the engines on test stands. I also did high speed film of foreign object ingestion. (10,000 fps) There were many times that funding was threatened on the V-22 because of the problems that had to be overcome, not to mention a few crashes. It's good to see that it survived all the budget cuts.

The engines are listed as Rolls Royce, but were developed by Allison. GM sold Allison Gas Turbines to Rolls Royce in the early 90's.

CharlesAFerg
01-20-2007, 02:58 AM
They changed a BUNCH of stuff on those since they had problems, a BUNCH there was a whole history channel thing about these things, they're much mroe reliable now apperently.

By the time I'm in the USMC I'm sure they'll be much more prominent..

Hey pics please! I want to see those!
So cool...

USMC Oorah.

KenB
01-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Sorry, no V22 pic for release. Security clearance did not allow me to take any for personal use.

Here's one of an old Sub tracking plane (P3)? that was being fitted with turbo props to be used for fire fighting in CA.

Was offered a ride in the gunner seat of an old B17 to photograph the P3 in flight...I declined.

Itsnotme1988
01-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Sorry, no V22 pic for release. Security clearance did not allow me to take any for personal use.

Here's one of an old Sub tracking plane (P3)? that was being fitted with turbo props to be used for fire fighting in CA.

Was offered a ride in the gunner seat of an old B17 to photograph the P3 in flight...I declined.

Yup, P3-Orion. My NROTC advisor is a P3 pilot.

The Osprey is a very impressive aircraft. I have always liked them.

fin
01-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Notice that the P-3 has more blades on the prop of the outer engine. Test Platform???

Anyway, the V-22 is all about getter Marines past the beach and to a landing zone quicker (thus safer).

V-22 should be called the Phoenix for the number of times it died and was revived by Marine lobbying efforts. The Generals are convinced that it will be a much better tactical alternative to the H-46's.

A warning though. A friend, LT Eric Allison USNR, died west of Wake Island in a H-46 crash due to a synchronizing shaft failure......

Fin

Itsnotme1988
01-22-2007, 10:42 AM
It's time for the CH-46's to be retired. They are old, slow aircraft, allbeit effective, but escentially outdated.

KenB
01-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Notice that the P-3 has more blades on the prop of the outer engine. Test Platform???

Fin

Yes, this P-3 was the first to be fitted with the new engine and tested in-flight for evaluation.

guinness
01-22-2007, 11:48 AM
are they using the same eng as the new C-130?

CharlesAFerg
01-22-2007, 11:51 AM
are they using the same eng as the new C-130?

KenB
01-22-2007, 12:29 PM
It's possible since the C-130 was Allison powered but I don't know...I left Allison just before it was bought by Rolls Royce.

colo525i
01-22-2007, 03:22 PM
kenb, pretty cool stuff to see. The new C-130J has some weird props on it, but it still amazes me they are making a variant of a plane that first flew more than 50 years ago. My dad is a retired P3/c-130 aviator, and works for lockheed, so i get to see plenty of their cool new stuff.

Hal
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Enjoy: V-22 pictures (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/v-22-pics.htm)

Hal

1994 530iT 169,000mi Nikasil powered
1999 528iT 94,000 mi non-Nikasil powered

KenB
01-22-2007, 05:23 PM
kenb, pretty cool stuff to see. .

Thanks, I got to see and do alot of cool stuff over the years as a commercial/industrial photographer. Some of it dangerous but all of it fun.

Flew and shot photos while standing on the runner of a Huey and tethered to the fuselage...what an adrenaline rush THAT was. :D The C-5 out of Dover AFB was my favorite to work around...had a flightline drivers license and could park my car next to them. Air Force One came in one day and the 747 looked small next to the C-5. Climbed inside the tail of one to shoot photos in the dark of a bent structural part.

Had all access badges for the Indy 500 for a few years, got to meet/photograph alot of the drivers and party with their crews every year during the month of May. Lots of fun there.

Also got to commute on a private Lear Jet for another job, almost got killed flying through the wake of a 747 near JFK, did a half-turn of the corkscrew of death but the alert co-pilot saved our asses. I thought the plane was coming apart. Talk about a cold sweat! The pilot was later let go over another incident.:p

My last job was with Lockheed Martin, Commercial Space Systems Division. They were making satellites for Sirius and the like as well as Military systems. Amazing stuff, I wanted to get into the Space Video Dept. but instead got to produce instructional DVD's for customers to learn to operate their new $200 mil satellite. Boring stuff but the launches were nerve wracking/big excitement!

Worked on a TV show while I lived in CA going to College. Shot promotional stills for the first Celebrity Challenge of the Sexes in the late 70's. (Got Valerie Perrine's phone number!) Another time got some nice shots of Jaime Pressley (from: My Name is Earl) when she was about 16 years old and first starting out.

:D

http://home.comcast.net/~kbingert/onlinestorage/Jamie2.jpg