PDA

View Full Version : Hard Start and Idle issue

brendanm
01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi All

About 6 months ago I bought a 90' 535i, and frankly despite my recent problem, it's been hands down the best car I've ever owned (knock on wood).

We've had cold weather for several months now, and it's exhibited no problems starting, but last night while driving home it was making a low growl like noise. I thought nothing of it, until this morning when I tried to start it.

It started and then quit on me, and then wouldn't start again. I finally got it going with a little gas, but it still had trouble idling without me adding gas to keep it running. On the short drive to work it still had trouble idling, but having left it for 30mins and then driving it again for a donut run, it ran fine.

No check engine light, nor any check engine fault codes. It seems to put out a good deal of steam/slash smoke when I first start it, but that could just be the weather. It doesn't exhibit any other signs of a cracked head etc...I replaced the radiator when I first bought it, but since then it's lost no radiator fluid, the oils clear etc...

I've read that the 3.5l have idle issues, and I'm going to replace the fuel filter this afternoon to start with. Has anyone else got any suggestions for me? I'd really appreciate it, I would like to narrow the scope of potential issues before taking it in.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-19-2007, 02:27 PM
look for cracks on the intake boot, and any other hose.

brendanm
01-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Help me out, ICV is? Is that the Intake CHeck Valve? Or Idle COntrol Valve?

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Help me out, ICV is? Is that the Intake CHeck Valve? Or Idle COntrol Valve?

They get dirty and bung up

brendanm
01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
My father was standing behind the car, when I was trying to start it. And he said it seemed to be running "rich" as they was a strong smell of gas, for a brief moment.

Could this be a sign of a problem with the ICV?

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-19-2007, 02:59 PM
ICV control the air flow bypassing the throttle body, so if it's stuck closed you'll go rich.

I'd start here with the simple easy to fix stuff and move up as the problem presists