PDA

View Full Version : Knok Sensor replacement

94530inh
01-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Had the 1222 code, rippped the intake manifold off and replaced all the gaskets. I saw that my knock sensor boots were cracked. Ordered new knock sensors but have a problem. The coolant tube is in the way and the bolt will not come off unless i remove the tube. How should I go about draining the coolant so that I ont make a huge mess in the garage?

Also is there a torque spec on knock sensor bolts?

This is an m60 V8 motor

Ross
01-18-2007, 10:11 AM
1222 is an o2 sensor code I believe

bbig119
01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I had this problem about a month ago. You'll have to remove the water pump to get the pipes out. I drained the radiator, but didn't bother with the block. Just have a collection bin under the area by the water pump as it'll spill out there. You'll want to get a new gasket for the water pump and the pipes that are blocking the knock sensors.

Its a pain in the ass to have to go through all this to replace the knock sensors, but the job isn't difficult.

torque on Knock sensors should be 20Nm.

Hope that helps.

BillionPa
01-18-2007, 02:13 PM
1222 is lambda contro, which actally indicates the O2 sensor is doing its job and is noticing a large discrepency (10%) between MAF and O2 sensor.

generally indicates a vacuum leak if its the only code.

94530inh
01-18-2007, 02:41 PM
yeah vacuum leak cuz new o2 sensors went in a week before the 1222 code and rough idle. Intake manifold is being rebuilt with new gaskets and the knock sensors are being replaced now. Hopefully that solves the problems. Then my new headlights can go in and my shadline can go on, my mpars can go on and i can do a nice wax and buff. Once the mparss go on i'm having my stock wheels sand blasted and im gunna re-do em. The wheels I have on there seem pretty rare as i have never seen them in person and I have only seen one car with em (skateparks car)