PDA

View Full Version : Oz Rotors-don't be fooled

wingman
01-18-2007, 05:25 AM
I've recently replaced my rear rotors. My choices were 1. Oem Boge through BMA (au$150 approx landed-good deal), 2. DBA-Not able to supply, 3.Stealer-didn't even bother. 4. Protex-makes most of the rotors for DBA- (my price au$50 per corner (cost)). The Protex are working great and are made to Australian standards. The BMA price is good but 1/3 more. What I'm saying is shop around and have a look who is making bits for whom. Happy braking, Wingman.

mattyb
01-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Thanx tony. Im now on my second set at the front and 1st replaced set at rear. Dealer equation is just a fkn joke. my dad has a mate who manufacters industrial rotors for BHP for high speed steel lathes and the like and is going to have a go at a set for me next time round. The current rotors you have now, how are they going? are they slotted? what is the material? how long did the last set last and what kind of driving behavior do you subject them to? see ya sunday!

wingman
01-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Not slotted just the standard replacement for the the M20 (nothing fancy). I don't have the make up (of the rotors) at hand.

Ross
01-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Tell me more about the Australian standards. Is this a quality issue or some different brake spec used in Oz?

BillionPa
01-18-2007, 02:10 PM
do the Protex rotors have the kangaroo paw ventilation?

rob101
01-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Australia design rules can be fiddly and have always been a bit of a pain in the arse of car manufacturers. They are actually in the process of bringing these into parity with european design rules, to make the process of importing and exporting cars less complicated.

Its actually weird, in my industry (construction and heavy machinery) Australia is waaaaaaay more stringent on safety than the EU and the USA. Which is to do with standards and the like.

But i think in the car industry the standards and ADR's have little quirks that make them more annoying than useful.