PDA

View Full Version : oil filter housing plug o-ring part #???

jansenm
01-18-2007, 01:58 AM
hi, first of all, thanks for everybody for stopping by and reading this post. i drove all the way from florida to pennsylvania after Christmas of '06, and now my car has an oil leak. i traced it and found out my oil filter housing gasket was bad, BUT the twist in this oil leak story is that something else was leaking, too.
the the oil filter housing has two (2) pressure relief valves - breather valves -plugs - i don't really know the name - they are, maybe, the size of a quarter in diameter, and look like plugs, and they go on the side (or back? can't remember) of the housing. they are sealed with o-rings and retained by a circlip.
now, the good thing is that i know they're bad, too. the bad thing is i can't find them anywhere. i need those o-rings! me and my dad have been looking for it, but no success...i've tried egerman auto parts, realOEM, pelican, napa, carquest, everything! forums...nothing found. so i decided to go to the nearest BMW dealership.
BMW can't find it either the parts manager at the devon store helped, but couldn't help. he said the o-ring used in the E30's oil filter assy might work, but i was actually hoping to find the right part, as i need my car done to go to work...that was today morning, and i am still waiting for their call to see if they found the right part for my poor car.
i just cannot find that part. i was wondering, as a last resort before i buy the E30 o-ring, that you guys could lend me a hand on this one. i would greatly appreciate it, and my BMW too. she's tired of being on the stands, she wants to be driven! :)

info: 1993 BMW 325i, 4-door, automatic, M50 engine, european made (WBACB4313PFL11915). if ANY questions or anything arise, feel free and don't hesitate to write me an email. i need these o-rings BAD...

thank you all SO much for reading thru all this.
(below: the housing with the holes where the plugs go in red; the plugs.)

winfred
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
as far as i know those o-rings are not officially avalable they just want to sell you a upgraded housing, it's going to take local searching to find them or if you can figure out the diameter and thickness with a caliper you might could find a generic o-ring online, id be hitting hardwear stores and any other place where o-rings can be found, i can't speak for your area but we have a couple plumbing supply places around here that usually have shitloads of o-rings for faucet repair, one of those may work. it's been so long since i've looked i can't remember the size of the rings for that housing as that's the rare one, most of them those plugs are non removable and are peined in instead of clipped, or the real early one with it's bolt on cover