PDA

View Full Version : The ///M5 sweeps awards at local Porsche/BMW chapter meet

Jr ///M5
04-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Ever now and again you should listen to your children. There was a meet between the local Porsche/BMW car club chapters for their annual spring Show'n Shine at the Furrows vinyards in El Paso Illinois this past Saturday. My kids were begging me to take the M5 to the show, so I signed up Thursday night, and left for the show Saturday morning.

BMW of Peoria had brought over an X3, a 545 and a Z4 for everyone to drive and admire. (That 545 is quite nice)

Significant others that didn't share the same appreciation for the marques, could tour the winery and sample the toils of the vinyard.

There were about 9 Porsches and over a dozen BMW's at the show. The Porsche owners were to pick their favorite BMW and vise-versa. That's how the voting took place. Then everybody voted for the "Peoples Choice".

Imagine my suprise when the ///M5 not only won "Best BMW" , but also won the "Peoples Choice" award.

There were some great looking automobiles there, and it gave me a chance to show off the ///M5's engine and of course, in the trunk, was the coveted ///M5 brochure that Quentin sent to be used on occasions like this. Everyone loved it. Especially the drivers shot of the interior with the steering wheel on the right side. Very cool indeed. Thanks Quentin, wherever you are.....=)

It was a great time, met some very nice people and got to drive the winner home in the rain that started immediately after the show.....=)

Just wanted to share with you guys that even the Porsche people think the E34 is a timeless line.

Jr

Brian C.
04-25-2004, 08:46 PM
...could fully appreciate the magnificence of your beauty! Did ya get a trophy? A cool plaque??? A case of Cabernet or two??? :D

Congratulations.

Brian C.

Jr ///M5
04-25-2004, 09:02 PM
I did buy a couple of bottles of their famous Vino, and that helped pay off some of the votes I bought...=)

The ///M5 came home with TWO plaques and after the rain, the dirtest it's ever been....=) (we fixed that early this morning) =)

Brandon J
04-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Wow, that is great. Congratulations on your awards. I know that your car deserves it. I cannot wait to see it again at this year's Midwest e34 Summer Meet on August 7th!

Paul in NZ
04-26-2004, 12:14 AM
I would love to see a photo of the dirty M5 jr...Congrats are due..That //M5 doesnt clean itself does it?Did you drive the 545?I bet the engine is so smooth and torquey..a variable valve timed 4.5 v8...phew.Even a 1.8 toyota with variable valve timing is has good low down torque(relatively speaking)

Jr ///M5
04-26-2004, 06:04 AM
Others took the 545 out for a spin, it was equipped with SMG shifting. After driving the E46 M3 at the autocross a few weeks ago, I really didn't need to drive the 545 for fear of liking it too much. Although it's going to take quite a bit to get used to the headlight area and the slab sides of the new five, not to mention the trunk lines. If you stop and look closely, the body sides come down to within about 5 inches from the ground.

One of the Porsche owners said, "For what they want for a new 545, I would go for a used M5 instead" This came from a guy who brought a new 996 to the show......hmmmm, maybe he wishes secretly for an M5.....=)

andyman32
04-26-2004, 06:15 AM
Congratz, Jr! That must be a nice car! Have any pics posted?

And - btw - I'm pretty sure that deep down inside, EVERYBODY wants an M5. Even if they don't know what an M5 is yet. ;)

George M
04-26-2004, 06:55 AM
Of course the right car/man one. Only reinforces what everybody knows, your M5 is not only the finest car on this board but is hard to beat.
Congratulations!...that had to feel good in such "fast" company.
George
90 735iL/149k...no M5 :-)

Scott H
04-26-2004, 09:13 AM
I can't count how many E34 friends I've talked to about your M5 and tried to convey how nice it is. It is one of the few cars that looks better in person than in pictures (it looks unbelievable in pictures) ..........and I've had the pleasure of putting my foot in it :p .......shhhhhhhh

Hope to see you soon
Scott

Bill R.
04-26-2004, 09:52 AM
the photos i've seen and the care you put into it at the body shop..

MicahO
04-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Great stuff Jr - nice to see the e34 taking home the prizes in such illustrious company!

Robin-535im
04-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Except when they say, "Hey dad - lets see if your car can catch air!"

Of course, if you hadn't won, we would all have driven up there en masse to set the record straight. I guess they got all the deer parts out then? :)

Good show!

- Robin

Jr ///M5
04-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks guys, it does look nice these days. Micha, I took your advice and was able to get special insurance for it through my agent.

Of course the BMW guys were all over the wheels, one nice fellow with a 2001 740 sport wanted to get a set for his car, but didn't have the patience to clean them. Looking closely at the crosspokes, he said, "Didn't you just drive from Peoria?, I don't see any brake dust..." I told him with a 7400 rpm redline, you don't need brakes...=) We had a good laugh and then I told him there were 34 titanium bolts on each wheel and 34 spokes... that's how I keep them clean. He understood right away, but wasn't willing to make that kind of commitment.

Ok Scott, when's the next time you and Jill are coming down? You bringing the E46? Has she let you drive it yet? Maybe you could get her to feel sorry for you 'cause of the gas tank straps? =)

George, thanks for the kind words, been wondering where you've been lately....should have known, you are busy with your own silver beast. Sure hope you can make it down this August as Brandon reminded us about the E34 meet on the 7th. That would be cool...try to make it!!!

Bill R., you should take a vacation and drive your E34 across country for the meet....=) We've seen your car, and WE can help!!! =) ...thanks for all your support over the years my friend.

Robin, you should hear them scream when Dad gives 'em a ride in the ///M5...Little Jesse has CP, but still manages to say, "Do it again Daddy" and they all laugh as if they were on a carnival ride.....including me =)

Thanks guys, but part of the fun of the whole thing is sharing it with you.
Jr

SamB
04-26-2004, 07:31 PM
My god is this some kind of torture?? all this talk of the worlds nicest M5 and no pics!!! Pics please please :)

Jr ///M5
04-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Sam, here's a link to the pictures of the event, the M5's engine shots should be easy to pick out ;)

The last shot on the last page is one of the interior.

I didn't take but just a couple of shots of the event, too much fun talking to people.

Let me know if the link doesn't work, you might have to "sign-in" on the site if you're not able to see the pics. It just takes a couple of moments and it's free! :D

Hope this works.....

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4287054293 (http://)

Jr ///M5
04-26-2004, 08:00 PM
Hmmm, well try this one...

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4287054293

Brian C.
04-26-2004, 08:38 PM
And since it's been my screensaver for a few years now, I hope you all enjoy a true thing of beauty.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Brian%20C./2003_Car_Show%20Jr::s%20M5~3.jpg

I bet those Porsche guys were just eatin' it up too! :D

Brian C.

SamB
04-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Very nice :D

Good to see it in such good condition and still being driven.

Bart
04-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Beautiful car!

What size wheels are on this M5 ?

Is the car the Sterlingsilber (sterling silver) color? How about the interior color?

Jr ///M5
04-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks SamB...

Good eye Bart! Sterlingsilber it is....with Light Silver Grey interior.
The wheels are 8x17's which are stock size for the '91 ///M5.

Jr

Bart
04-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Hey Brian C,

I love your car, but confess that's partly because my '90 535ia has exactly the same color scheme. I bought (stole would be too harsh a term) it from a guy a couple of weeks ago, for $3,250. (It was idling poorly and the dealer had been charging him BigBucks for maintenance, so he threw in the towel to stop the financial hemorage, and he was not a car guy anyhow. Turns out it had a leaky vacuum tube on the FPR and needed new O-rings on the dipstick, + tighten the intake boots. ~$6.58 to fix.)

Anyhow, I asked about the color because I have a question or two, Brian:

What do you use for wax/polish? My car color is a bit listless until wet. Then the sterling silver color really shines through, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Should I try wet-look wax, or what?

Interior grey leather is in great shape, but has some scuffs/scratches through the color. Found a good source of color touch-up for your grey leather? Thanks!

Bill R.
04-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Sorry, smart ass response.... The car you see is Jr's m5 his post about it was just above yours...

Hey Brian C,

I love your car, but confess that's partly because my '90 535ia has exactly the same color scheme. I bought (stole would be too harsh a term) it from a guy a couple of weeks ago, for $3,250. (It was idling poorly and the dealer had been charging him BigBucks for maintenance, so he threw in the towel to stop the financial hemorage, and he was not a car guy anyhow. Turns out it had a leaky vacuum tube on the FPR and needed new O-rings on the dipstick, + tighten the intake boots. ~$6.58 to fix.)

Anyhow, I asked about the color because I have a question or two, Brian:

What do you use for wax/polish? My car color is a bit listless until wet. Then the sterling silver color really shines through, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Should I try wet-look wax, or what?

Interior grey leather is in great shape, but has some scuffs/scratches through the color. Found a good source of color touch-up for your grey leather? Thanks!

Jason
04-28-2004, 01:01 PM
If that car was in an accident and repaired, as the thread suggests, its one hell of a good job. Either way yours is the ultimate E34

Jr ///M5
04-28-2004, 08:06 PM
https://home.insightbb.com/~england31/Dscn1172.jpg

Last year about this time......remember guys???

This is what a deer will do to your car when you're traveling 65mph and it decides to jump in the middle of your hood!

My local BMW bodyshop had it about 2 1/2 months. Since it was an M5, they were meticulous about everything on it. They really did do a nice job, of course they would run for cover when they seen me coming to check on it just about every day since they were close to my office...=)

She just ticked over 101,658 miles.......

Jr

632 Regal
04-28-2004, 08:38 PM
ARGHH! I must not have been her at this time last year I would have remembered that! It did turn out phantastic though and looks like brand new. Congratulations on the winnings and fun!!!

Bill R.
04-28-2004, 11:17 PM
guys did....

https://home.insightbb.com/%7Eengland31/Dscn1172.jpg

Last year about this time......remember guys???

This is what a deer will do to your car when you're traveling 65mph and it decides to jump in the middle of your hood!

My local BMW bodyshop had it about 2 1/2 months. Since it was an M5, they were meticulous about everything on it. They really did do a nice job, of course they would run for cover when they seen me coming to check on it just about every day since they were close to my office...=)

She just ticked over 101,658 miles.......

Jr

krzysiom5
04-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Hello everyone,

Wow, that is great. Congratulations on your awards. I know that your car deserves it. I cannot wait to see it again at this year's Midwest e34 Summer Meet on August 7th!

MicahO
04-29-2004, 07:05 AM
--was how ridiculously CLEAN the car was BEFORE it played the part of the deerslayer.

My new toy's got all of 760 miles on it, and it's not that clean! Well, maybe the black just doesn't show it as well as the silver......

TheGeak
04-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Wow, i'm just amazed that at how LITTLE damage was done. 65mph + deer usually equates to about half of the front of a car gone. There we see another prime example of how WELL these cars are designed and built. Not to mention how stunningly beautiful they are!

*dreams* and its even the same color of silver as mine....