PDA

View Full Version : First BM a bad one

Ross
01-17-2007, 10:00 PM
A few recent posts have made me think about how some folks here have a bad experience with a BM that wasn't the cars fault.
A car that has been neglected or abused is nobody's friend. Unfortunately they are out there and sometimes the first example of a marque someone owns. If the owner isn't savvy enough to understand why the car is bad he tends to blame the brand.
Our BMWs can be expensive to repair if not maintained so lots of "deferred" maint. examples are out there just waiting to be snapped up by an eager buyer at a bargain price.
I can track the unhappy story of such cars some times by looking at the for sale ads then checking the threads of the seller: Bought a new E34 great deal have a few questions. Help, overheating problem. Why does my steering shimmy under braking?
All the E34 foibles in one neglected car, put upon an unsuspecting new owner who will forever damn the brand because the previous owner didn't maintain for the past ten years.
To add insult to injury these clunkers are often overpaid for as well.
Our elderly little E34s aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. A few minutes searching this forum will disclose all the weaknesses. The good news is all of them are easily corrected and the aftermarket parts world has made it economical to do so.
A shitbox will always be a shitbox but a neglected car or a moderately abused one can usually be returned to health and live a long life thanks to good design, build and quality materials.
I feel bad for the guys who post here who have troubles and seem to have been taken advantage of as well. Some are ready to give up just as all the stuff is getting sorted out.
Keep the faith.

winfred
01-17-2007, 11:11 PM
you also have dumbass repairs to band aid a car to sell ready to time bomb, like the 97 960 volvo i am looking at now, this goober just bought this bomb about a month ago for about $2000-2500 too much for the car with the miles it has, someone had done either head work or a cam belt job and they apparently tried to use a punch/chisel (by looking at the marks on the nut, i couldn't get a socket on it till i knocked the **** up's down with a grinder) on the 30mm crank nut and didn't get it tight, the harmonic balancers action on the splines on the crank snout pretty much cleaned the splines off the crank, so now he's looking at probably $1500 worth of repairs if i have a good short block at the shop, it'd be one thing if that french hunk of **** motor was normal with regular main caps so that i could drop the pan and shove another crank in but it's a split block and i don't want anything to do with that ********

ILoveMPower
01-17-2007, 11:25 PM
One of the wisest and most insightful posts for newbies I've read in a long time.

:)

wingman
01-18-2007, 05:16 AM
Agreed. 'You want to play, you got to pay...' You throw the right bucks and care at the E34 and you've got a winner. Look at this board and see the vast array of cars that are great and you'll see caring owners/custodians. The only Shite E34s are the neglected ones. They all start out good.

Morgenster
01-18-2007, 06:41 AM
When I bought my first car (e30) it was in much worse shape than I initially thought, but I bought it just to have a decent training vehicle and had zero mechanical knowledge. Zero active safety measures, and rear wheel drive made for an interesting ride. Six months later I caught up on mechanical knowledge (sometimes the hard way). Got rid of it for some 400 euros afterwards to move up to e34. I bought it at a very low price and knew there'd be work because I searched out the most reliable model and documented all known issues in advance. I even had the Bentley manual before I had the car so I could study up on it.
I think, in general, you shouldn't buy a second hand car without having a plan or knowing full well what you're getting yourself into.
If used as a daily driver these cars are fairly cheap relative to the entire market. Just calculating cost of ownership in dollars/euros per mile/kilometer will sometimes give surprisingly nice results.

DanDombrowski
01-18-2007, 08:49 AM
960 is a french motor? Is that a derivative of the PRV (Peugeot, Renault, Volvo for those unfamiliar)?

winfred
01-18-2007, 09:24 AM
i don't know if pug is also to blame like the boat anchor v6 (the b27/28 were godawful pieces of **** that ate cams like popcorn, the b280 was better, it didn't chew itself up but was still a turd) but the I6 has a renault logo cast into the block. trivia for those who didn't know the pvr v6 (the old shitty one) was the motor installed in the delorian all 120 hp of it, kinda suprising it could even get to 88 mph :D

960 is a french motor? Is that a derivative of the PRV (Peugeot, Renault, Volvo for those unfamiliar)?

Robin-535im
01-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Any BM is a good BM. Best part of the morning.

BMWCCA1
01-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Any BM is a good BM. Best part of the morning.For you Brits and Brit transplants who don't get the humor, notice at this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BM) that none of these has anything to do with BMW. The seventh-up from the bottom of the list should enlighten you! ;)

winfred
01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
usually referred as the three S's, ****-shower-shave around here

Any BM is a good BM. Best part of the morning.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-18-2007, 08:45 PM
once from some killer Thai food that wanted to burn it's way out, had the wet the toilet paper to cool off.

another from a turd that was coming out sideways, thought I was gonna burst a vein or something.

Alexlind123
01-18-2007, 09:41 PM
once from some killer Thai food that wanted to burn it's way out, had the wet the toilet paper to cool off.

another from a turd that was coming out sideways, thought I was gonna burst a vein or something.

For some reason this actually made me lol. That doesnt happen often when browsing the web...