PDA

View Full Version : Will i pass emissions?

Boone.Msi
01-17-2007, 09:13 PM
I have to get it done this week, no way around it and my car still has that idling issue.

It will run smooth unless i let it sit at 500rpm for more than 10 seconds, then it will throw a code and idle like crap. I believe whats happening is that a bad sensor is causing me to run rich and its causing me to miss on a cylider. Thats what i believe it is, since i only have this problem at low RPM's.

what ive been doing for the last month is pushing in the accelerator(in Neutral) until i sit at 1200rpm, this prevents the bad idle at a stop.

what should i do when i pull up to get it tested? let it sit or do the 1200rpm trick? Do you think it will pass?

colo525i
01-17-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't think any country will pass you if you have a check engine light on. If you are in the USA, do the stomp test, otherwise get the code read.

Zackb911
01-17-2007, 09:32 PM
You probably wont pass, sounds like a vacuum leak. Do you have a mighty vac or a vaccum gauge so you can see what you have at idle?

Zack

Boone.Msi
01-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Changed: PCV, intake manifold gaskets, like all 4 vacum lines, spark plugs(twice), o2 sensors, valve cover gaskets(were for sure leaking) Checked fuel injectors

havent checked: Coils, temp sensor, crank sensor, and i believe there is one other sensor i havent mentioned that could be a culprit.

Ross
01-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Where I am if you have a fault code in the computer you fail. You clear the codes and not let the idle condition occur that sets the code if you want to try and fool them. Chances are though that the repair will pay for itself with fuel economy.

RallyD
01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
if you take it in for an inspection they will hose you big time.
even if you reset the engine light you have to drive the car for a certain time/distance to complete x# of drive cycles.

my buddy couldn't wait and brought his neon in for an inspection, they changed both 02 sensors and the cat because he didnt complete the drive time like I told him to.

Boone.Msi
01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Out of cash this month so thats why im trying to wing it. I figured if you had a code stored it wouldnt pass, wasnt sure if it was the same for obd1. i will use the stomp test to reset the code and tryto keep it from showing, wish me luck;)

Tiger
01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Most likely air flow meter.