PDA

View Full Version : my e28 won't start

rob101
01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I've been driving the e28 528i (m30) to work because my e34 has hose issues (soon to be fixed) but this morning it wouldn't start. The starter would crank but nothing, it didn't fire at all. Recently my father complained that when the tank was below 20L (the last mark on the fuel gauge) it would stall and carry on and when it is parked on an incline with the nose facing up it would have trouble starting.

I am thinking my fuel pump is gone, it was been a bit noisy for a while. Any theories?

Martin in Bellevue
01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
It sounds like the transfer fuel pump inside the e28's tank is dead.

Jeff in MN
01-17-2007, 07:48 PM
I've been driving the e28 528i (m30) to work because my e34 has hose issues (soon to be fixed) but this morning it wouldn't start. The starter would crank but nothing, it didn't fire at all. Recently my father complained that when the tank was below 20L (the last mark on the fuel gauge) it would stall and carry on and when it is parked on an incline with the nose facing up it would have trouble starting.

I am thinking my fuel pump is gone, it was been a bit noisy for a while. Any theories?

On my e28. When this "no start" happens all of a sudden, take the butt end of a screwdriver and rap/tap all of the relays on the driver side engine compartment. I did this on my friends e32 with an m30 when he thought he was stranded in the parking lot, the next turn of the key, she fired up. On my son's 528e it took a bit more and I had to replace the main relay.

I also agree that the intank pump may be gone, but I ran my 535is for 1 year before I figured out it was bad. The Main fuel pump is enough to start the car.

Good luck

rob101
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
yeah, its odd my father started it first time later this morning, mind you on a couple of slightly cold than usual and one hot day when it was sitting in the sun i have had the same deal. either cranks and doesn't fire or takes a few seconds of cranking before it splutters to life. guess it could be relay related also. I've been thinking the lift pump may be dead for a while so i might replace that by default. But i am wondering whether it could be relay problems or perhaps a cold start injector/ thermotime switch problem.
Note this car is L-jetronic not Motronic like the gringo bmws.

Ross
01-17-2007, 09:14 PM
I've got an L-Jetronic service book, let me know if you need something from it.