PDA

View Full Version : Supersprint exhaust question

Dash01
01-17-2007, 11:07 AM
My '90 535ia has a Supersprint catback stainless steel exhaust, and it's a bit loose and leaking at the junction between the cat adapter and the center section, as well as between the center section and the rear muffler.

My kid put this on several years ago, since he's skinny enough to get under the car. I'm wondering if he put it together correctly.

So, does anybody have definitive ideas as to how the adapters go on, and if there are doughnut rings or similar sealing devices between sections?

Otherwise, how best to seal the flanges?

Gayle
01-21-2007, 02:15 AM
I can't believe that no one has any help for Dash01 on this question. Doesn't anyone know anything about supersprint installation?

Jr ///M5
01-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Here's some help...
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=18_0071&hg=18&fg=20

If your child installed the muffler, I'm betting it's not welded but clamped together as the drawing shows the muffler being a seperate available part.

Because of the excessive viabration of the exhaust system, welding is the perferred method of installation. The trouble with the 535 is the twin pipes are too close together to get the handle of the mig welder all the way around without complete removal of the exhaust. So it must be "fitted" or jigged into place, tacked welded to hold position, then dropped down to complete the welds all the way around the pipes. Then reinstalled.

Or you could just get under there and try to tighten the clamps and flanges and at least check the hangers to see if they are broken or missing.