PDA

View Full Version : installed sachs sporting kit, have a couple ?'s

mikemaster
04-25-2004, 06:18 PM
After a little test driving, overall I'm very happy with the upgrade, but at low speed it seems a little loud in the rear.

1. I used stock rear bumpstops and trimmed about 1/2 inch off of them. I was thinking maybe I should trim off more, since I get a loud thump when going over a bump at low speed (although no noise issues on the highway at all, even over bumps.) Anyone have any thoughts or advise on this? Also, I'm not sure if the rear rubber caps are on right, and this maybe could let more sound through?

2. This kit came with 2 sleeves for in between the front strut rod and strut bearing that I forgot to install (for 90 and later e34's). :( So I plan to put it on within a couple months, but do you think it will hurt anything to run without them?

Thanks!

Brandon J
04-25-2004, 08:20 PM
1. I didn't cut my bumpstops. Did you use new rear shock mounts?

2. I am not sure what sleeves you are talking about. Are they metal or rubber. Shouldn't be a problem if they weren't in there with the stock pieces.

I did my Sachs install 3 years ago so I may not remember all the parts it came with. I don't think it would be a problem though with the sleeves. The loud thump could just be the new suspension and you getting use to it. Also, let the suspension settle for a few weeks. You can fine tune it afterwards, like raising or lowering the rear, cutting bumpstops, and seeing if the thump come from your tires or anything else. The sachs is a great kit. An M5 member looked at the Eibach springs that come with the Sach kit and the ones that come separately from Eibach. The Sachs kit has a higher spring rate for the rear, bettering understeer. One last thing, the Sachs really works well with a set of sways. Enjoy your upgrade.

mikemaster
04-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Yes, I used new shock mounts front and rear. The kit came with new shorter front bumpstops, however none for the rear. So I installed two new stock rear ones, but cut them down a little bit.

As for the sleeve, the instructions show it should fit over the top of the strut rod inside of the front strut bearing. I guess after 1990, the diameter of the struts rods were different. That's the spacer sleeve that I forgot.

Edit: BTW, what sways are you running?

Brandon J
04-25-2004, 09:06 PM
My kit from 3 yrs ago came with the appropriate size strut rod. It sounds like you my need to use the sleeve. I am running RD adjustable sways.

Deke NorCal
04-26-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm going to order a Sachs Suspension for my 535i THIS WEEK!! Are there any suspension related parts I should replace? Rear Pitman Arms and Shock Mounts right? Anything else?

Thanks in advance, really look forward to the new ride

Cheers,
Deke

mikemaster
05-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the help Brandon, I just needed to tighten the rear shock bolts after the suspension settled. Do you have a recommendation for a tie rod puller to buy? I'm installing all new front suspension soon.

Brandon J
05-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the help Brandon, I just needed to tighten the rear shock bolts after the suspension settled. Do you have a recommendation for a tie rod puller to buy? I'm installing all new front suspension soon.
I bought this kit: http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2474&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=545&iSubCat=549&iProductID=2474 for separating balljoints. The dark colored one in the picture (it acutally comes in silver color) is the one I use for the tie-rods. It works like a charm. I can pop the tie-rod out in less than 10min.