PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Bmw 530i 171,000

Green Bimmer
01-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Joe here in Orlando
BMW 530I 171,000

I am looking to sell my car. I can't afford the repairs because I am a full time college student. The car does have some transmission problems, I just had the brakes and rotors changed for a cost over $500 dollars, had up control arms bushings installed on driver and passenger side. The vehicle runs good and body is in good condition. Can someone tell me what would be a good asking price for this car? Do you think this car would sell well on Ebay?

Alexlind123
01-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Why would you pay $500 for a brake job?

John in CT
01-16-2007, 05:53 PM
well, if you disclose the car need some transmission work, and you really should or bad Karma could ruin your day, the car ain't worth too much, I'm thinkin' about what you paid for the brake job, a little more to the right guy. Just my 0.02 USD

Sorry I couldn't be more positive,

John in CT
1995 525i 5 speed

Green Bimmer
01-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Why would you pay $500 for a brake job?

I replaced front and rear rotors, replaced the old brakes with Pagid dics both front and rear each rotor cost $55 for parts.

Green Bimmer
01-16-2007, 06:02 PM
well, if you disclose the car need some transmission work, and you really should or bad Karma could ruin your day, the car ain't worth too much, I'm thinkin' about what you paid for the brake job, a little more to the right guy. Just my 0.02 USD

Sorry I couldn't be more positive,

John in CT
1995 525i 5 speed

Guest this was the wrong place to ask. Thanks A LOT!!

Dave M
01-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Guest this was the wrong place to ask. Thanks A LOT!!

I think what we're trying to say is............. if you take care of the tranny issue, you may see the return on your repair dollars (of course pending the particular problem). If you don't, potential buyers will assume the worst and milk you for it. I don't know much about the autos, but from what I've head, they can be dear to fix. If you don't know exactly what is wrong with it and can't put a dollar figure to it, then expect the worst. I recommend finding out more if you don't know. Out of interest, what do the classified in you area say you'll get for a 'good' one?

Oh, and while I think $500 might be a low ball offer, I don't believe the poster was attempting to be cruel or unrealistic. If anything, Alex may have come across a bit blunt with his brake 'inquiry' ;)

Anyhow, good luck with it,
Dave M

Green Bimmer
01-16-2007, 06:47 PM
:( Let's just say I know when not to insult people. Insulting is so easy to do. Try being nice for a change

I think what we're trying to say is............. if you take care of the tranny issue, you may see the return on your repair dollars (of course pending the particular problem). If you don't, potential buyers will assume the worst and milk you for it. I don't know much about the autos, but from what I've head, they can be dear to fix. If you don't know exactly what is wrong with it and can't put a dollar figure to it, then expect the worst. I recommend finding out more if you don't know. Out of interest, what do the classified in you area say you'll get for a 'good' one?

Oh, and while I think $500 might be a low ball offer, I don't believe the poster was attempting to be cruel or unrealistic. If anything, Alex may have come across a bit blunt with his brake 'inquiry' ;)

Anyhow, good luck with it,
Dave M

Kalevera
01-16-2007, 07:17 PM
$500 is realistic if the car has worn seats, delaminated door panels, a sagging headliner, shrinking door seals, worn suspension, a Nikasil and a ton of deferred maintenance.

If it's in reasonable shape, I'd say it will fetch a grand. Possibly two grand if it's in great to pristine shape and only needs a transmission.

Alex, if you think $500 is getting raped on a brake job --

On an E39 M5, the car that everyone on this board seems to want to own, ONE front, directional rotor, retails for $288.

I'll never forget picking up some parts at the dealer one day about a year ago and witnessing some poor sucker who just found out that his E39 M5 needed a brake job AND had a locked front caliper.

John B.
01-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Speaking of expensive brake jobs I almost fell over when I saw what the PO of our new 95 525i Touring paid to have the frt done not long ago. His shop used BMW factory parts & replaced both calipers at $433.00 each! Both rotors at $260 a pair + the brake hoses & I forget what they got for those. Thats over $1000 in parts + pads and labor just for the front.

Green Bimmer
01-16-2007, 07:32 PM
The Car is in good condition inside and outside. I was told my ZOTZ in Winter Park that a used Trans would cost $1500 Dollars. I am just kinda tired of BMW and everybody wants to take a bite at my paycheck. I now want a Chevy S-10

[/QUOTE]
$500 is realistic if the car has worn seats, delaminated door panels, a sagging headliner, shrinking door seals, worn suspension, a Nikasil and a ton of deferred maintenance.

If it's in reasonable shape, I'd say it will fetch a grand. Possibly two grand if it's in great to pristine shape and only needs a transmission.

Alex, if you think $500 is getting raped on a brake job --

On an E39 M5, the car that everyone on this board seems to want to own, ONE front, directional rotor, retails for $288.

I'll never forget picking up some parts at the dealer one day about a year ago and witnessing some poor sucker who just found out that his E39 M5 needed a brake job AND had a locked front caliper.

danzee
01-16-2007, 07:34 PM
If you look at recent sales on eBay you'll see 530i E34s selling for 3.5-4.5K for ones in good condition and 125K-150K miles. Exceptional ones can go for as high as 7.5K, but that's rare. A rebuilt tranny is in the 3.5K range. If you need one (assuming the worst), that falls in line with the $500 to $1K estimates, providing someone wants the hassle.
It makes sense to see what it will take to fix you car before you decide what's reasonable to let it go for.
Z

Green Bimmer
01-16-2007, 07:35 PM
If I had BMW to do the brakes, the front cost $500 and rear $375

Speaking of expensive brake jobs I almost feel over when I saw what the PO of our new 95 525i Touring paid to have the frt done not long ago. His shop used BMW factory parts & replaced both calipers at $433.00 each! Both rotors at $260 a pair + the brake hoses & I forget what they got for those. Thats over $1000 in parts + pads and labor just for the front.

Alexlind123
01-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Just so you know, i wasnt trying to be insulting. I had no idea that brakes could cost that much.

Green Bimmer
01-17-2007, 06:55 AM
I actually had the job done twice because I didn't like the first brakes I had put on they were ceramic from Autozone, so I had the Pagid installed and they work great.

Just so you know, i wasnt trying to be insulting. I had no idea that brakes could cost that much.

Ross
01-17-2007, 01:44 PM
It's experiences like that that disgust people and give BMs a bad rep.

Ross
01-17-2007, 09:26 PM
These cars can get pricey to fix if you don't do it yourself or have a trusted indy mechanic.
My advice is if the rest of the car is sound the trans investment is woth it. Shop for an overhual rather than an unknown used box.
An S-10 is an altogether different animal. They are also regarded as lowline junkheaps even when new(the Cavalier of PU trucks). Whatever floats your boat but don't give up on the BM if it's otherwise sound.

Green Bimmer
01-18-2007, 08:04 AM
So far I been told a used transmission cost $1,500 and a rebuilt cost $3,500 with $1000 in labor.

These cars can get pricey to fix if you don't do it yourself or have a trusted indy mechanic.
My advice is if the rest of the car is sound the trans investment is woth it. Shop for an overhual rather than an unknown used box.
An S-10 is an altogether different animal. They are also regarded as lowline junkheaps even when new(the Cavalier of PU trucks). Whatever floats your boat but don't give up on the BM if it's otherwise sound.