PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area Mechanic

Red535
04-25-2004, 04:11 PM
I am in need of suspension parts replacement on my 1990 535, I have all the parts, control arms, thrust arms, tie rods, new shocks all around, new M5 anti-sway bars. Does anyone know a resonably priced mechanic that could do this type of work for me?? I live in the east bay area, Concord, CA.
Thank You

Unregistered
04-26-2004, 01:23 AM
I know a couple of good shops that aren't out there to rip you a new a$$hole. But as far as I know.. they don't do work with customer's parts. It's a liability issue.

I think one of my friends might though..call him and ask. He used to work at Weatherford BMW in Berkeley. He has a shop in Rheem Valley (Orinda/Moraga).

Rheem Valley Auto
Sorry.. don't know the number off the top of my head.

I am in need of suspension parts replacement on my 1990 535, I have all the parts, control arms, thrust arms, tie rods, new shocks all around, new M5 anti-sway bars. Does anyone know a resonably priced mechanic that could do this type of work for me?? I live in the east bay area, Concord, CA.
Thank You

Red535
04-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Thank you for the info, do you know the guys name at Rheem Valley Auto? I would also be interested in the names of the resonably priced shops you know for future use. Thank You, Steve

I know a couple of good shops that aren't out there to rip you a new a$$hole. But as far as I know.. they don't do work with customer's parts. It's a liability issue.

I think one of my friends might though..call him and ask. He used to work at Weatherford BMW in Berkeley. He has a shop in Rheem Valley (Orinda/Moraga).

Rheem Valley Auto
Sorry.. don't know the number off the top of my head.

Keith
04-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Steve, you "must" go to Competition Autowerks in San Ramon, you will be very happy you did, ask for Tom, he's the owner, tell him Keith from Bay Bimmerz sent ya.

Keith

Red535
04-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Steve, you "must" go to Competition Autowerks in San Ramon, you will be very happy you did, ask for Tom, he's the owner, tell him Keith from Bay Bimmerz sent ya.

Keith

Thank you Keith, will Call Tom today and get a quote. I hope he is less expensive than the other mechanic I was dealing with, his rate was $110.00 per hour! Although I did find one for $69.00 per hour and he has BMW experience. Thank You again

mike wong
04-27-2004, 10:32 AM
There is a guy named Tom, who worked on my bimmer (many years ago) at Rheem Valley Automotive; 925-254-6000. Heard Tom retired, but shop is still there.

Have you considered Wolfgang's in Walnut Creek 925-947-6848?

you found a mechanic for $69/hr? where? let me know if he works out!

mike wong
mywong23@yahoo.com

Unregistered
04-27-2004, 11:19 AM

Keith

I have dealt with Competition Autowerks in the past and while the quality of their work was great, they were exorbantly expensive. I would strongly recommend Wolfgang's, both he and his son are great guys, do great work and are reasonably priced. There is a reason Wolfgang has been around for over 30 years.

Whatever you do, stay away from M-Service.

Adnan
04-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi,

Scott has no problem with you bringing your own parts and has reasonable rates.

Regards,
Adnan

Keith
04-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Thank you Keith, will Call Tom today and get a quote. I hope he is less expensive than the other mechanic I was dealing with, his rate was $110.00 per hour! Although I did find one for $69.00 per hour and he has BMW experience. Thank You again

Steve, believe me when I tell you that "I" know that money is tight, BUT you get what you pay for and once Tom or one of his guys works on your car, you will "always" go back!
I have know idea what he's going to charge you, but please don't always go with the cheapest quote out there.
I just picked up my car from him today, 4 wheel alignment (Hunter) all wheels balanced (Hunter) and while he had it there I asked him to check out a pesky power steering leak coming from the bottom somewhere, they found a loose hose (I believe he told me) and it was all 160 bucks.

It's up to you, good luck, Keith

Red535
05-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi Keith, I ended up going to Competition Autowerks and to tell you the true, I agree with one of the other posts here. They are very high priced. After being quoted $1000.00 for the work, I added a CO2 sensor and fuel filter, the total bill came to $1,348.00 . I did have another quote for 900.00, but thought the extra $100 would have been worth it based on your recommendation. Live and learn I guess

Keith
05-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Hi Keith, I ended up going to Competition Autowerks and to tell you the true, I agree with one of the other posts here. They are very high priced. After being quoted $1000.00 for the work, I added a CO2 sensor and fuel filter, the total bill came to $1,348.00 . I did have another quote for 900.00, but thought the extra $100 would have been worth it based on your recommendation. Live and learn I guess

I hope everything went okay and that your happy with the work.
I do believe the extra 100 bucks that you shelled out (in comparison) was money well spent, most of the time you get what you pay for.
I too have lived and learned (believe me) and am willing to pay "a little" more so that there will be no worries.

Take care, Keith

Red535
05-16-2004, 08:22 PM
I hope everything went okay and that your happy with the work.
I do believe the extra 100 bucks that you shelled out (in comparison) was money well spent, most of the time you get what you pay for.
I too have lived and learned (believe me) and am willing to pay "a little" more so that there will be no worries.

Take care, Keith

Keith, The cost of work was actually almost $400.00 additional. I dont know if it is work it or not, that is a lot of extra money!

CrimsonBrian
05-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Keith, The cost of work was actually almost $400.00 additional. I dont know if it is work it or not, that is a lot of extra money!

I know this may a little too late, but when I lived in the Bay Area, I went to Bavarian Professionals. They were awesome and very reasonable. They even have loaner cars for when your car is being worked on. Ask for Nate, he will take great care of you. They are unflinchingly honest, so you can be sure if they say something needs replacement, it does.

http://www.bavpros.com

Warren N.CA
05-17-2004, 12:02 PM
The $69 guy might get only half the work done in an hour that a $100 guy might do.

When I had my airplane, I learned by experience that the cheapest place to have work done had one of the highest hourly rates. They also did stuff right.

There is a guy named Tom, who worked on my bimmer (many years ago) at Rheem Valley Automotive; 925-254-6000. Heard Tom retired, but shop is still there.

Have you considered Wolfgang's in Walnut Creek 925-947-6848?

you found a mechanic for $69/hr? where? let me know if he works out!

mike wong
mywong23@yahoo.com