PDA

View Full Version : fuel injector substitutes

Bart
04-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Prior posts on this website say that Bosch/Ford 19 lb. fuel injectors from a 1990 Ford Mustang 5.0 liter engine are suitable & easy substitutes for the injectors used on BMW E34 cars of the same age. Such injectors are a lot cheaper than ones from the BMW dealer or parts houses.

More recently, Mustang groupies, Saleen conversions, etc. have reportedly been using a newer Bosch 19.6 lb. fuel injector with a disk nozzle rather than the pintle type: The disk nozzle shoots 4 fuel sprays rather than one centerline spray, so atomization is said to be much better than the old centeline pintle nozzle. Better power and fuel economy are said to result from the new disk type injectors.

Since the 19.6 lb. disk type injectors directly substitute for the older pintle type injectors in Mustangs, and since Ford/Bosch Mustang injectors reportedly fit our Bimmers, has anybody tried the new disk injectors in our cars? Results?

Unregistered
04-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Here is a website that has the injectors for sale and some information.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/

They sell on eBay as well as from their website. I have the injectors which have 4 holes vs the one single hole in the pintle. I don't believe my injectors have the discs which rotate. I think those are gen III or something and mine are gen II.

In any case, you can search around on eBay and find these 19 pound injectors used for less. I paid $80 for mine which was a set of 8 so I have 2 spares. I installed them in about 2 hours or so. I could have done it quicker but this was my first time at this and spent some time cleaning and looking things over carefully.

Mike Holbrook
Spring Valley, CA

winfred
04-25-2004, 02:59 PM
i have the disc type 19# in both of my cars from the 4.6 ohc mousetank, they work fine i gained about a mpg on both cars, the only problem, the old style obc on the e30 now reads high (5-10 mpg high) on mpg/range functions, (shorter injector pulse width) the 535 reads fine it was always was 1 or 2 off

535ise
04-25-2004, 03:06 PM
i have the disc type 19# in both of my cars from the 4.6 ohc mousetank, they work fine i gained about a mpg on both cars, the only problem, the old style obc on the e30 now reads high (5-10 mpg high) on mpg/range functions, (shorter injector pulse width) the 535 reads fine it was always was 1 or 2 off

Did they make much differance in how your engine ran ?

winfred
04-25-2004, 03:16 PM
hard to say on the 535 i installed them while swapping the motor, it does seem to idle better then avarage, but that may be due to the fact i keep it clean and intune, the 325 idles better but the old injectors had over 180k miles on them so that may of had something to do with it

GS535i
04-25-2004, 06:25 PM
I've also been 'reading up' on the Ford/Bosch injectors. As I understand, both the Bosch Design II and III are 4 hole, rotating disc types - the design III having an even higher pulse rate (OEM are of the pintle, single hole type).
The design II's are reported to be a direct plug in, and are Bosch # 0 280 150 556 D5B. Winfred, correct to say these are the ones you have?
I was ready to try these in a M30, but am curious if anyone has tried the Design III, #0 280 155 909 F83E? ( there are other #'s for identical injectors).

winfred
04-25-2004, 06:36 PM
0 280 150 556 dems da ones

mholbrook
04-26-2004, 09:02 AM
The 556 D5B's are the ones I have also. I swapped out my 3.5 bar (50 psi) fuel pressure regulator a couple weeks ago and went back to stock. I notice my mileage went down with the 3.0 bar and also that I felt I did not have as bright of a response to the gas pedal. Yesterday I changed the 3.5 bar back in and although I have not yet checked the mileage, the response to throttle is back.

MikeV
04-26-2004, 09:03 AM
I have the Type III 19.6 lb injectors in my 530i.... it's hard to say what impact because I changed them within a month or so of putting in an EAT chip and swapping out the rear diff. So obviously performance is way up and gas mileage is also up, but I can't attribute it to the injectors directly.

But the old ones looked like crud, and these were cheaper than sending the old ones out for cleaning/flow testing. :)

albundy
04-28-2004, 01:04 AM

Winfred,

Is there any significant performance gains over the stock 19lb injectors? My 525i (m50, with 2.8 motor) is using it so I wonder if its worthwhile to replace it with the Gen3 19 lb injectors? Thanks.

Rgds

winfred
04-28-2004, 08:28 AM
kinda hard to say, the 325 had chip, headers, throttle body, bigger afm and a cat back before i did the injectors. the 535 was down for a month with a bad head gasket before i swaped the motor, the injectors went in with the new motor, kinda hard to judge performance with that gap in driving it

Winfred,

Is there any significant performance gains over the stock 19lb injectors? My 525i (m50, with 2.8 motor) is using it so I wonder if its worthwhile to replace it with the Gen3 19 lb injectors? Thanks.

Rgds

Bill R.
04-28-2004, 09:49 AM
the stock m30 injectors flow 220 cc min static.. 21.56 lbs/hr and the replacement ford ones flow 200cc min so you've dropped the max flow by 10% so boosting the pressure might make it closer to equal to new stock ones..... Here's a chart with some of the stock flow rates....
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/fuelinjectors.jpg

The 556 D5B's are the ones I have also. I swapped out my 3.5 bar (50 psi) fuel pressure regulator a couple weeks ago and went back to stock. I notice my mileage went down with the 3.0 bar and also that I felt I did not have as bright of a response to the gas pedal. Yesterday I changed the 3.5 bar back in and although I have not yet checked the mileage, the response to throttle is back.

Unregistered
05-05-2004, 05:44 AM
the stock m30 injectors flow 220 cc min static.. 21.56 lbs/hr and the replacement ford ones flow 200cc min so you've dropped the max flow by 10% so boosting the pressure might make it closer to equal to new stock ones..... Here's a chart with some of the stock flow rates....
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/fuelinjectors.jpg

Bill, do you have similar info for the e30 318i and also the 525 M50?? Thanks