PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Life + Suspension Question

dave b
01-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Is it normal to get 60k + miles out of brake pads?

Mine are at 55k now, and there appears to be a lot of pad left on all four wheels. I have a stick, so I imagine that this adds some life to the pads, but this seems a little ridiculous.

I get no shimmy when braking and the rotors have a little edge to them, but no lip like the last set that I replaced.

Also, when I hit a bad road (like interstate 10 in socal outside of palm springs), I get a fair amount of shaking and steering wheel vibration. By fair amount I mean it forces me to choose a better lane. Anyone have ideas as to the first place to look suspension wise? When the road is smooth, the ride is smooth...

thanks,
dave b
93 525i

BillionPa
01-15-2007, 08:01 PM
all 4 pads?

dave b
01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
they all look fine.

all 4 pads?

KenB
01-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I have over 80k miles on my brakes, still have around 15-20% pad left. Still on original clutch...wondering which is going to go first.

Zeuk in Oz
01-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Is it normal to get 60k + miles out of brake pads?

Mine are at 55k now, and there appears to be a lot of pad left on all four wheels. I have a stick, so I imagine that this adds some life to the pads, but this seems a little ridiculous.

I get no shimmy when braking and the rotors have a little edge to them, but no lip like the last set that I replaced.

Also, when I hit a bad road (like interstate 10 in socal outside of palm springs), I get a fair amount of shaking and steering wheel vibration. By fair amount I mean it forces me to choose a better lane. Anyone have ideas as to the first place to look suspension wise? When the road is smooth, the ride is smooth...

thanks,
dave b
93 525i
Tie rod ends ? Thrust arms ?

mattyb
01-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I figure that brake pad and rotor life are about how you treat them. I have done two sets in 100 thou ks and i would not describe myself as hard on them all the time. I dont do any track work but to be honest every now and then, sure i give them a hiding. Front end isnt too bad but i must say that the visual condition of the pads and rotors has been deceiving at times when I felt something else may been the cause of issues. Pads seem to be the cheapest and quickest place to head when it comes to eliminating causes so id start there. if your wrong well at least you have a spare set of pads which youre going to need sooner or later anyway. Best of luck to you anyway!!