PDA

View Full Version : Resoldering LKM

shrike071
01-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Anyone personally done this? I have one fog light that is only getting 11 volts and sporadically works. Interestingly enough - when it isn't working, the dash readout is silent.. So I suspect the LKM. On eBay, they're about $50 - should I just go with that or resolder?

Note: I am unsure of my soldering skills.. difficult job for a novice?

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-15-2007, 03:41 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/LKM.htm

shogun
01-15-2007, 07:26 PM
On my website below under e32fixes.com

DaveVoorhis
01-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Anyone personally done this?
Yup.

If you've never soldered before, I suggest practicing on some scrap circuit boards (rip apart an old radio or something) and suchlike before you tackle the LKM. It's not difficult, even for a beginner, but probably not a good place to attempt your first solder joint.

BFEINZIMER
01-15-2007, 07:50 PM
the lkm was my first (and only) soder....

i was scared, check my thread

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29304&highlight=lkm

///Sniper535
01-15-2007, 07:56 PM
My front left foglight is still out. I resoldered the joints but i still get nothing. maybe i did it wrong? but theres some power flowing to the light, just not enough

DaveVoorhis
01-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Might be dirty/corroded contacts on the relevant relay in the LKM. If not, trace the wiring from the bulb socket back to LKM, testing voltage as you go. If not the relay, it's probably a corroded connection.

Milkboot
01-15-2007, 08:05 PM
I wouldnt be to worried about it, When i first did mine [btw didnt look like anybody elses! >.< ] I was a little nervious even tho i do some light soldering at work from time to time.

Make sure you have a good soldering iron, but el cheapo could work just the same. Make sure you get it nice and hot before you try anything, about a good 4-5 min warm up is always good. There is [or was on mine] so much extra solder around the joints you could get away with just melting whats there and add a little bit more, just a dab will do. You can tell when its hot enough when you put the point of the iron right on the joint that is exposed and in about a second or 2 you see it change to a color that looks more glossy, thats when it has melted, at that point you add what is needed.

Do what Dave said, pratice a little bit, you can do it without messing up to much :P

Reminds me, i need to do a lil write up on how i did mine with some better pictures for people