PDA

View Full Version : anyone in here ever use a mityvac?

markus
01-14-2007, 08:56 PM
one of those hand held brake fluid bleeders

Kalevera
01-14-2007, 09:33 PM
All the time, but not to bleed.

They are useful for draining the fluid reservoir. Also a pain to clean or use in a professional environment because they break. But still pretty useful. Also handy for doing clutch bleed jobs.

BMWCCA1
01-14-2007, 10:16 PM
I find it very useful for my BMW bikes but not so much on the cars. I prefer to have someone pump the pedal. Well, actually I prefer a pressure bleeder, but if you don't have one, get a warm body in the driver's seat.

winfred
01-14-2007, 10:48 PM
they will get the job done eventually but it sucks so much air past the threads of the bleed screw you will never know when the system stops bubbling. the silverline pro metal mityvac kit is worth it if you have a use for a vacuum pump, it'll do pressure too

Vanguard
01-14-2007, 10:51 PM
I have the plastic version and don't like I it. I wouldn't buy another.

Bill R.
01-15-2007, 12:00 AM
bleeder, i prefer this one from Harbor freight, its a copy of a vacula and does (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92924) a pretty good job, you have to wrap teflon tape around the threads of the bleeder valves to keep bubbling from happening though. Works much better than a mityvac... I still prefer to have 2 people though and bleed manually wiht the pedal. Also this harbor freight requires compressed air, so you have to have a compressor.

one of those hand held brake fluid bleeders

winfred
01-15-2007, 12:39 AM
hey have you seen that pressure pot bleeder they have?, looks like a knock off of a branick but $300 is a little too sporty for my liking, been waiting to see if it goes half price like so many of their goodies, the half price sale bit me and mom in the ass a year of two on our big $400 tile saw, month later and the bastard was $200 ahhh well the kitchen marble came out bitchen anyway

bleeder, i prefer this one from Harbor freight, its a copy of a vacula and does (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92924) a pretty good job, you have to wrap teflon tape around the threads of the bleeder valves to keep bubbling from happening though. Works much better than a mityvac... I still prefer to have 2 people though and bleed manually wiht the pedal. Also this harbor freight requires compressed air, so you have to have a compressor.

Bill R.
01-15-2007, 12:47 AM
A friend of mine uses a vacula at his shop and after seeing this he convinced me that it would work well, it goes on sale all the time for 19.95 and actually works pretty well. I know what you mean about the half price sales at harbor freight, I try not buy unless its on sale now

hey have you seen that pressure pot bleeder they have?, looks like a knock off of a branick but $300 is a little too sporty for my liking, been waiting to see if it goes half price like so many of their goodies, the half price sale bit me and mom in the ass a year of two on our big $400 tile saw, month later and the bastard was $200 ahhh well the kitchen marble came out bitchen anyway

shrike071
01-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I have one and like it a lot. I've used it to bleed down just about every kind of fluid line at one point or another... If you are getting air past the threads, you are using the wrong adapter - IMHO.

Bill R.
01-15-2007, 10:02 AM
website faq here (http://www.mityvac.com/pages/info_faq.asp)
states the same thing that you have to do for the vacula and the harbor freight copycat, remove bleeder screws ,wrap with teflon tape and reinstall.

I have one and like it a lot. I've used it to bleed down just about every kind of fluid line at one point or another... If you are getting air past the threads, you are using the wrong adapter - IMHO.