PDA

View Full Version : Hardwire an pod to BMW radios

Russell
01-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Saw on some other forum about hardwiring an ipod to BMW radios. Basically they hardwired a cassette ipod adapter wiring into the radio after cutting off the cassette adapter. To play through the ipod, you insert a blank tape or severed cassette adapter so that the sound comes from the ipod. Aparentley it fools the radio into thinking the sound comes from a cassette.

Yes the sound is supposed to be better than the tape adapter and the reason I would consider it.

Has anyone done this on our fe34 factory radios?

No I do not want a new head unit. :) I know people suggest this all the time. TIA

repenttokyo
01-14-2007, 04:05 PM
my radio just spits out my xm cassette adapter :(

jbourke
01-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Has anyone done this on our fe34 factory radios? TIA
With a bit of electronics knowledge it's quite easy to find a suitable point to connect your IPOD to the innards of the radio (between pre and end amplifier). I just fitted a suitable connector and switch to the front of the radio (unused tape buttons) and it's working like a charm.

Russell
01-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Thats my problem, the necessary knowledge. I can do the the physical alterations, just do not know what to do.

As is usually the case, those that really know how and "do" for their own use, do not "write it down' for others to follow. Not a complaint, just the way it works. :)

BillionPa
01-14-2007, 10:14 PM
i have my radio apart right now, i just need to know what wires to solder in to.

Paul in NZ
01-15-2007, 04:04 AM
i have seen a link for this somewhere....

jbourke
01-15-2007, 10:25 AM
As is usually the case, those that really know how and "do" for their own use, do not "write it down' for others to follow. Not a complaint, just the way it works. :)

But if I was I would do it for free ... ok maybe a couple of beers then :D . Mine isn't a standard BMW radio so writing/photos is not really going to help. That said I wasn't able to get any schematics for my radio but searching for chip id's on the Net proved a big help.

If I can do this anybody with basic electonics knowledge can help you out easily.

jbourke
01-15-2007, 10:26 AM

but if I was I would do it for free ... ok maybe a couple of beers then :D . Mine isn't a standard BMW radio so writing/photos is not really going to help. That said I wasn't able to get any schematics for my radio but searching for chip id's on the Net proved a big help.

If I can do this anybody with basic electronics knowledge can help you out easily.

BillionPa
01-15-2007, 02:45 PM
the inside of the alpine radio is a bit more complicated. the tape unit uses connector pins to snap into the main radio circuit board. there doesnt seem to be an obvious point to splice into in order to add an audio signal.

Russell
01-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Not a good sign. However, I bet there is someone who has developed a workaround. Anyone??? Also, thanks for the great pictures.

Looks like I may just use a quality cassette adapter. I was surpised how well my son's shuffle (2nd gen) sounded with a Monster cassette adapter. Heck of a lot better than Sirrus radio through a FM connection.

BillionPa
01-15-2007, 05:35 PM
even the best cassette adapters still sound like ass.

the plan is to disable the cassette tape pickup and the tape drive motor, so its quiet, then wire into the output, which i will have to find by trial and error using a multimeter.

BillionPa
01-15-2007, 11:55 PM
well, multimeter seems to have fried the radio....

now i have an excuse to get a new one!

jbourke
01-16-2007, 03:24 AM
the inside of the alpine radio is a bit more complicated. the tape unit uses connector pins to snap into the main radio circuit board. there doesnt seem to be an obvious point to splice into in order to add an audio signal.

Actually it looks rather simple! My Philips had three boards interconnected, filling the casing up completely. Anyway after the cassette input some filtering and correction is applied specific for that type of signal, you don't want to have that s**t distorting your HiFi IPOD sound. The big chip in the middle would be the place to start, the manufacturer's website will have a pinout and reference designs for your perusal. From that chip the audio signal will be delivered to the end amplifier, these things will be connected to the metal casing for heat disposal purposes. Reroute the audio signal through a switch alternating chip/IPOD.

A big advantage of this setup is using a good but older and thus not-attractive-for-junkie-scum radio. Fantastic sound and no worries driving home without music :p

Russell
01-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Scematics for the BMW Alpine radio are availabe somwhere I assume. Any thoughts where? I doubt if I can get them form my local dealer :)

jbourke
01-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Scematics for the BMW Alpine radio are availabe somwhere I assume. Any thoughts where? I doubt if I can get them form my local dealer :)

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/list.php ... Google on <Alpine model number> and "schematics" and see what you find.

Russell
01-16-2007, 11:39 AM
will check this evening. This site is blocked here at the "office" :(