PDA

View Full Version : How to setup the foglights so that it CAN be on with highbeams

hk20000
01-14-2007, 01:01 AM
hey guys,

how can I hack the lighting system so that my highbeams do not kill the foglights.... Right now the highbeams will turn the foglights off.

The reason I want to do that is that I got some yellow highbeam bulbs AND yellow fog light bulbs that I want to use together at night on a mountain pass I usually take for the sake of running on a mountain pass:D

If I can have both yellow highbeams and yellow foglights on at the same time I can be invincible LOL...

Let me know guys if anyone has done that mod.

bimmerd00d
01-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Honestly, your fogs are pretty much useless with your high beams on. It's possible, you'll need an Aussie LKM for sure...the euro LKM's might allow this, but im not sure. If anyone has one of each they could compare, this would be a neat upgrade. I posted this very question a few years ago when i had my older E34. Nobody seemed to have a valid answer or comparison back then, hopefully someone has come up with something since.

hk20000
01-14-2007, 01:24 AM
it was somewhat covered but that thread went to sheet when people started complaining about people who drive around clear nights with foglights on and why NHTSA doesn't like E-code headlights.

in that thread someone did mention they "modified" their LKM to make that possible but I lost track of who that was by page 6

anyway I live in a snow covered city north of the US border with no lights on that particular mountain pass I run (ok fine it's for fun) so I have all the reasons to turn on all 6 lights in front of the car.

Hopefully someone can show how to "modify" a US/Canadian LKM and don't hate. I just want the fog lights with the highbeams coz that road has a lot of loose rocks and lil animals running around all the time those things just appear from UNDER the highbeam. And on snow covered roads yellow lights give a clear advantage to white light for visibility.

BillionPa
01-14-2007, 02:18 AM
you could bypass the LKM for the foglights and wire in a separate relay, then run it directly off the B+ junction box in the engine compartment.

you got HIDs in the fogs?

shogun
01-14-2007, 02:58 AM
my japanese LKM-L-J works
http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/halopics/index_018.jpg

Paul in NZ
01-14-2007, 03:38 AM
my euro lkm works(its a basic one)jut see my sig :).The fogs will fill in the sides a little bit,its noticeable on low but on high you dont realy notice.If iwere you i would run yellows in one or the other,then you have all bases covered,yellow is actually better in fog for the same reason you state less reflection/glare back at ya

hk20000
01-19-2007, 02:26 AM
you could bypass the LKM for the foglights and wire in a separate relay, then run it directly off the B+ junction box in the engine compartment.

no I don't have it

so you are saying I just splice the wire to the highbeams and power the foglights with them as well?

Are the bimmer headlights negative triggered or positive triggered? (i.e. when the high beam is on I closed the circuit on the ground end or the positive end of the bulb?)

coz I'd have to wire it differently depending on that. :)

Tiger
01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Since LKM controls it... it is positive trigger... What you can do is solder one wire from high beam light output on high beam relay to the source for foglight relay. I would put a fuse for this circuit too just to be on safe side,

ILoveMPower
01-19-2007, 01:20 PM

I was just gonna say, no need to modify the LKM, just rig up another relay

mzarifkar
01-19-2007, 05:51 PM
even though i have no clue why you want to so whatever you are trying to do, i will give you a very simply solution that works.

On my 95 525, the doofus who owned it prior to me, either by mistake, or on purpose, attached the fog lights to the wire that goes to the front bumper side marker, As a consequence the fogs were always on whenever city lights or higher was selected, the fog light switch was useless, and there was a fog light display error on the OBC. I switched it back and fixed all of that.

But if that's something you can live with, just switch the cables for front bumper side marker lights with the fog lights

-em

Boone.Msi
01-19-2007, 11:56 PM
hmmm, my foglights stay on durring the use of High beams...

E34-520iSE
01-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Mine stay on too. Get on ebay.co.uk and buy a UK spec LKM. There's zillions of e34's getting smashed up..er I mean parted out on there.

HTH,

Shaun M