PDA

View Full Version : Oy Vey,I'm too old for this

Jehu
01-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I got the door handle surrounds on OK.Then while i was in a fix it mode i thought I'd check that nut at the base of the steering shaft.My car has some paneling covering that area,keeps everything looking neat and sophisticated down there but to get that off there are not only several small screws holding it up but you have to remove the front dash panel.OK , that's not so bad but there wasn't enough light to finish the job so before i could get to that steering shaft nut i decided I'd better get the screws back in place or I'd be doing it tomorrow only the weather report is for Schloony Winter Misery to finally find us.Man the positions you have to assume to get under there and work on these areas is hell on my body.I am dreading the heater core job even more now. My memory of which screw goes where is not going to suffice for the number of pieces involved in that job.. detailed charts and pictures will abound for sure.

bbig119
01-13-2007, 04:38 PM
The heater core sure isn't any fun, but if you don't replace the pipes to the core, you don't have to contort too bad. The worst I had was replacing the microcontroller for the blower which is up behind the console on the driver side. Its held in tight with plastic clips-- its hard enough to get in a position to see the thing, let alone get screw drivers and what not up there to be able to get the old one out. My buddy who is quite a few inches shorter than I did it for me.

Heater core: 1) take lots of pictures 2) label as much as you possibly can 3) don't mess with the pipes unless you have to 4) pray that the bracket that locks the two side pipes into the core doesn't give you any problems.

Jehu
01-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I could do the micro filter because the steering wheel wasn't in the way ,i think. I was able to drape my legs up over the passenger seat and lay upside down on my back under there when needed..As long as its warm and sunny and i get an early enough start I'll get 'er done...Thanks.

Dave M
01-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Are the bits different between the 540 and the 525? It didn't seem to be an issue when tightening the steering column nut or fiddling with the clutch on mine.

At least its not -25 degrees celius (it is here). You'll get it tomorrow.

Dave M

Jehu
01-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Which bits? I couldn't get the panel off to see anything under it due to daylight running out. There are a couple of modules under there ,maybe a chime/gong but the whole front lower dash has to be removed to get at the lower panel covering everything up above the pedals where the column goes into the firewall.

mattyb
01-14-2007, 12:34 AM
jehu, i was able to get under there and remove the panel no probs. it sort of slides out of the position towarsd the door rather that just falling off. Mine is a right hand drive so i dont know if that made any difference. i would say is too easy but i didnt have remove the front of the dash

Jehu
01-14-2007, 12:58 AM
The lower panel with the two slotted spaces which fit around the pedals was tucked up under the lower dash panel,the piece which fits under the steering wheel.It has to be pulled toward the driver and can't be pushed toward the firewall allowing it then to be pulled down and out so it seemed i had to remove that dash piece.Not especially difficult but i was rushing as it was near sunset,the car is outside so i didn't want to be looking for screws and holes in the cold darkness.I was able to get that under panel partly disengaged and saw the nut for which i was looking but that panel has some modules whatever they are attached with light gage wires i didn't want to pull on too hard so getting the thing off gently appears to require me laying under the steering wheel on my back kind of bent halfway out the door,lol.. I can see maybe why these cars were so expensive when new,the labor it takes to assemble them must be something.

mattyb
01-14-2007, 01:45 AM
i wont deny it was a bit of a contortionist effort to get there. there is a side peice that runs along the footwell against the centre console. This was the peice I was tlaking if that can be gently manipulated to release and slide out. again though i have never seen a left hand drive configuration so iam sure there are going to be subtle differences in the location of some items.