PDA

View Full Version : The "what's that mean?" thread

angrypancake
01-12-2007, 07:53 PM
So after being here for a while and learning a bunch of new stuff, there's still a decent amount I can't do. Most of that involves tearing an m50 non vanos apart, but hey I'm learning.

There are some other things, quick ones, that are talked about over and over and over, so I figured we could make a collective "glossary" if you will.... Feel free to add to it with cool things. I'll just ask a bunch of questions, since I can't really explain them well enough.

What is compression braking?

How do you apex a turn?

What exactly is heel toe?

What is rev-matching?

Who the **** is Winfred?

How many ladies has Jeff slept with?

Why is the pancake angry?

Please add more, hopefully with answers :D

Jon K
01-12-2007, 07:56 PM
What is compression braking?

How do you apex a turn?

What exactly is heel toe?

What is rev-matching?

Who the **** is Winfred?

How many ladies has Jeff slept with?

Why is the pancake angry?

Please add more, hopefully with answers :D

1) engine braking
2) entering the corner at it's apex, or about midway through the turn, depending on the type of turn (play GTR2 you figure it out quick!)
3) Braking with the ball/big toe area of your foot while shimmying your heel/bridge of your foot onto the accelerator to brake AND rev match for a downshift usually into the apex of a turn (see above)
4) rev matching is going from 3rd to 2nd (or any relation of down shifting) while blipping the throttle with the clutch in (some people go to neutral, aka double clutching...pointless) to catch the lower gear in a higher rpm as to not shock the drive train and upset the car, usually while going into an apex (see two above)
5)who cares
6)who cares
7)who cares

angrypancake
01-12-2007, 08:00 PM
but what is engine braking?

repenttokyo
01-12-2007, 08:14 PM
you downshift and the compression of the engine slows the car down. engine compression is also what keeps your car from rolling away if you turn it off and leave it in gear on a slight incline.

RallyD
01-12-2007, 08:16 PM
What is compression braking? engine is an air pump. block off one side (throttle plate) and the air does not flow through as well. the result is the engine has to work to draw air in and it slows you down.

What exactly is heel toe? well for me it is all toe (size 16) ok, left foot works the clutch right foot is 1/2 on brake and right side of right foot tilts to blip throttle for rev matching(see below) downshifting.

What is rev-matching? when downshifting, clutch depressed, you blip the throttle to get the rpm's where they should be in the next lower gear so if you are good you could just sidestep the clutch without the car bucking. Good for road racing because it wont upset weight transfer and cause a loss of traction in the rear. This also saves wear on the syncros inside the gearbox.

why is it called a guibo?

Digita1 Ecstasy
01-12-2007, 08:37 PM
why would you down shift in the middle of an apex, unless you had an up and down shifter

Phatty5BMW
01-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Why does schwagg taste like ****?

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-12-2007, 09:33 PM

properly.

It's supposed to taste like chicken

Phatty5BMW
01-12-2007, 09:36 PM
LoL I cleaned it very well, still tastes bad..... Need to get some nuggets :D

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Just like snipe hunting, but without the bag and whistle.

ya can't chase it with dogs or wound it...it's gotta be a clean shot.

or it's only good for smoking or bait.

attack eagle
01-12-2007, 09:45 PM
you downshift prior to turn in, usually while you are at max braking in a straight line, meaning any extra braking from downshifting without revmatching will lock up the tires or throw you into abs pulsing. Neither of which does ANYTHING to shorten braking distances. Please don't ask how I know. I will say that catching reverse instead of second and doing a reverse burnout at 20 mph does do amazing things for slowing a MGB.

repenttokyo
01-12-2007, 09:51 PM
I think I saw Bill Cosby do that in "Ghost Dad".

angrypancake
01-12-2007, 09:51 PM

cause its 3/4 dirt and oregano. and you wonder why its $115/oz

Phatty5BMW
01-12-2007, 09:52 PM
cause its 3/4 dirt and oregano. and you wonder why its $115/oz
LOL Naw its not that bad, I'm spoiled and didnt have the 350 for the dank :D

attack eagle
01-12-2007, 09:58 PM
I thought swag was luxury gifts you got at the Oscars?

Why did it take me 6 months of driving 1/2 blind to finally peel the smoke lamin-x off my headlights? I feel like I just installed HIDs.

Phatty5BMW
01-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I thought swag was luxury gifts you got at the Oscars?

Why did it take me 6 months of driving 1/2 blind to finally peel the smoke lamin-x off my headlights? I feel like I just installed HIDs.

Yea sounds like my intrepid i got for 300 bucks, headlight brackets are broken so what doesnt duct tape fix? Using it to hold the lights in, literally lol :) Just need to spend the 50 bucks and fix it........

Digita1 Ecstasy
01-12-2007, 11:00 PM
My question was kind of rhetorical but thanks for explaining it out.

I laughed @ the price quotes for weed, why dont you just hand over your first born child every time you pick up.

Duct tape is not your cars best friend.

happy friday and hello 3 day weekend

why do wheel replicas suck so bad?

Paul in NZ
01-12-2007, 11:08 PM
they dont suck they blow...

attack eagle
01-12-2007, 11:12 PM
work-o fine-o for me-o

Digita1 Ecstasy
01-12-2007, 11:18 PM
I heard ACS was trying to clear the market from manufacturers replicating their wheels or something.

Alexlind123
01-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Why is angry my hero?

This thread is scaring me...

angrypancake
01-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I heard ACS was trying to clear the market from manufacturers replicating their wheels or something.

Chinese unlicensed knockoffs. There was an article where they took as many as they could find and melted them down.

angrypancake
01-13-2007, 10:12 AM
why do wheel replicas suck so bad?

it depends on where they're made. supposedly italian reps are the best. also it depends a lot on your tire choice too. they're cast instead of forged, or maybe its the other way around, which means they cost less to make and are more succeptible to bends.....

angrypancake
01-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Why is angry my hero?

This thread is scaring me...

Cause of my razor scooter.

This thread was supposed to be for people to ask about stuff they didn't know, relatively common terms, i.e. rev matching.... but it kinda didn't go where I intended it to go

RallyD
01-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Stress will kill you, be KIND my brother.