PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problem, BMW says no warranty!

scott 4991
01-12-2007, 01:20 PM
I will post this here as there are many knowledgeable people on this site. My sister has a 2000, 323i, 28,000 miles - very low miles for this car. Two days ago the car would not go into reverse - when leaving the garage. She had the car towed to BMW. They have done diagnosis on the transmission and are telling her she needs a new transmission, as it's over 4 years old. This does not seem right as she only has 28,000 miles on the car.

I have told her to get the name / phone number of the Regional Service Rep and call him and ask for help.

Anything else she should do?

Thanks

sc

Yaninnya
01-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't know where you live but in Europe if the car was sold by the same dealer in many cases they are reparing it as a "goodwill". Dealer is paing for labour BMW for the parts. Sometimes only in part.
Jan

choccibicci
01-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Has your sister owned the car since new? You'll have more of a case than if it was pre-owned, but badger the dealership and BMW UK customer services together, your likely to get more attention!

There's probably an expiry clause in the warranty like '60,000 miles or 48 months, whichever the sooner', but for a car with such low mileage to develop a fault, the dealer may decide to avoid the bad press you could stir up and at least pick up some of the bill.

Had a similar problem with our Previa. A few months and many letters later, Toyota picked up 3/4 of the bill they said was 'not subject to warranty conditions'! :)

Kalevera
01-12-2007, 03:14 PM
The GM transmission is generally pretty bad, but there were a production run of E46 in either mid/late 1999 or mid/late 2000 that had a particularly faulty run.

Many independent shops are experienced with rebuilding these for the very reason that they break often. There's a particular drum that is known to shatter. I have written on it in the past, have a search.

As to the warranty -- it's time or mileage, whichever comes first, so I doubt they will honor it.

scott 4991
01-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Yiou will want to read this..,

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=7on_your_side&id=4407296

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=7on_your_side&id=4407296

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/bmw_trans.html

Problems are KNOWN!

sc

Ross
01-12-2007, 05:17 PM
If the warranty has expired your only hope is having a good relation with the dealer or fighting the hard way.
If Sis is the first owner and the car was dealer serviced you have a chance. Sounds though that BM is sick of this problem and wants it to go away.
Keep a cordial relation with the dealer if it's not already too late. The service writers sometimes make the call on their own without knowing what BM will do. Talk to another dealer or BM direct you may get some consideration, especially if it's a known problem.
Keep cool and be persistant and polite. Remember the car is seven years old and they owe you nothing.
Having said this I feel for her. Given proper care 28k on a trans is unexcusable, regardless of age.
BM wants to protect the rep. But if you aren't a new car customer or at least CPO you're up **** creek.
They are fed up with *******s like the guy with the E32 who expects warranty work on a car thay haven't made for 15 years.