PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak (Filter housing). Couple of questions

sbihue
01-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Being very junior on this board, i have found excellent tech stuff which has kept me motivated in getting my second E34 (the first one a 90/525i was totalled by the hurricane).

I have a slow oil leak, nothing catastrophic in my car. In searhing the archives, i found lots of very informative posts on oil leak and this excellent post by Billb:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17391

Looks like my car has the oil leak from the same place but i am not sure. With the car closer to 100K, i think i should do the gaskets on the filter housing anyway. I have a couple of questions pl.

1. I just changed my oil (Mobil 1 Sythetic, approx 1500 miles). Can i replace the gaskets/seals in the oil filter housing any time or do i have to wait until the next oil change.
2. What are the part#'s for ALL the gaskets/seals that i should change when i take off the oil filter housing. I know BMA is an excellent source but would prefer if i can get them from the local stealer as it would be the quickest.

I looked at realOEM but it ONLY gives the part no for the frofile gasket. Are there any other seals/gaskets!!!!!

The build date on my car is Jul, 1994

3. The battery in my car is UNDER the rear seat. Do i have to remove the seat to disconnect the battery or is there another way i could do that

Thanks
Steve

Ross
01-12-2007, 12:23 PM
The parts cost for this is inconcequential and the dealer can provide all.
If the leak is minor I'd wait until the regular change interval and do it all at once.
You can disconnect the ground wire by opening the plastic cover just beneath the seat cushion by the battery.

sbihue
01-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks