PDA

View Full Version : Determining where to buy ethanol free gas?

Fetch
01-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I live in the Midwest, and pretty much all gas stations have their little "Contains up to 10% ethanol" sticker out.

I think I read somewhere shell v-power doesn't have ethanol, is this true even if the pump says it 'may' contain it?

I can't find any info about this on gas companies' websites, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

I really would like to NOT be putting ethanol into my gas tank

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-11-2007, 06:02 PM
contain ETOH.

move up to premium

Fetch
01-11-2007, 06:16 PM
contain ETOH.

move up to premium

I only use premium

colo525i
01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
The gas blends are on a state or metro area basis, as mandated by the epa. I cannot find any sort of table to break it down on a state by state basis. In colorado, the winter fuels are required to be 10% ethanol, but not for summer. States like nebraska have (or at least used to!) to have 4 pumps 87 89(10% ethanol) 89 and 91. The higher the compression ratio the better when dealing with ethanol blended fuels. My m50 525 seems to be fine on the stuff, but i have seen older lower compression cars that run like junk on the winter fuel (my dad's old volvo 740) Look up the rules for your surrounding area, they may be required to sell fuel with ethanol.

Fetch
01-11-2007, 07:11 PM
The gas blends are on a state or metro area basis, as mandated by the epa. I cannot find any sort of table to break it down on a state by state basis. In colorado, the winter fuels are required to be 10% ethanol, but not for summer. States like nebraska have (or at least used to!) to have 4 pumps 87 89(10% ethanol) 89 and 91. The higher the compression ratio the better when dealing with ethanol blended fuels. My m50 525 seems to be fine on the stuff, but i have seen older lower compression cars that run like junk on the winter fuel (my dad's old volvo 740) Look up the rules for your surrounding area, they may be required to sell fuel with ethanol.

I looked & couldn't find any friggen info, it's tickin' me off. I am pretty certain my area does require it in the winter. My car doesn't run any markedly worse though, just don't want to put the crap in my car that wasn't designed for it.

BillionPa
01-11-2007, 07:46 PM
i have a list for all minnesota stations carrying it, but nowhere else.

V-Power 92 is the only one i can get around here, and its in both ethanol and eth free varieties, so they do make both.

the eth free will have a big sign on the hose that says "NO ETHANOL"

go from shell to shell i guess.

632 Regal
01-11-2007, 11:45 PM
good luck with it, here in michigan we had to deal with this crap for a dozen years, all i recommend id get the winter fuel outta there before summer heat.