PDA

View Full Version : Recidivism

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-11-2007, 05:43 PM
I am planing on the old upper/lower control arm replacement, along with tie rods.

Hie34 (Paul) has been a bad influence on me ever since he uttered the words "Dude! ya gotta lower it" Now I have been haunted by thoughts of Eibach springs...(falling of the stock wagon and looking for fix)

what should I do?
see the gap

repenttokyo
01-11-2007, 06:04 PM
lower it.

steve0suprem0
01-11-2007, 06:05 PM
i chose to use the stock shocks ONLY because e34.net told me it was ok.

markus
01-11-2007, 06:28 PM
is it? i just lowered my car last week with the eibachs and im very pleased. just the drop i was looking for. not so low the rear wheel isnt tucked into the wheel well but its noticeable. rides a lot nicer too.

nizmainiac
01-11-2007, 06:31 PM
do it, do it , do it :D

BillionPa
01-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Eibach it !!!

angrypancake
01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
eibach and Koni all the way. stock shocks will be F'ed in a very short amount of time. Mr Project has the E and K setup in his touring and he says that it gives up nothing to m3's in the mountains.

Incantation
01-11-2007, 07:56 PM
obviously best if you get shocks to match the springs.. but if it's not in your budget you're not gonna ruin your shocks too quickly.. if they're 15 years old chances are they are blown anyway

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-11-2007, 08:46 PM
they are stock, but they are nice and firm....no bounce.

Actually better than my touring...which appears to have been lowered with some kind of red/orangey colored set. Bouncey & squishy

John B.
01-11-2007, 09:21 PM
If they are still available use the factory M-Tech springs. I used them on my 535i along with the M sways & stock length Boge Turbo Gas struts/shocks. The drop is enough to give a nice look but not so much you need the sport shocks. Ride is firm but not harsh over the bumps. Got mine through BMA for a good price a few years ago.

HIe34
01-11-2007, 09:34 PM
I am planing on the old upper/lower control arm replacement, along with tie rods.

Hie34 (Paul) has been a bad influence on me ever since he uttered the words "Dude! ya gotta lower it" Now I have been haunted by thoughts of Eibach springs...(falling of the stock wagon and looking for fix)

what should I do?
see the gap

I don't think you're going to go through the stock shocks too quickly considering the way we drive..what was your OBC Ave MPH: 15.8? Oh wait, that's mine.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't think you're going to go through the stock shocks too quickly considering the way we drive..what was your OBC Ave MPH: 15.8? Oh wait, that's mine.

and I'm sure you'll be there to help...right?

My OBC says 24 avg mph....when I get the chance i go real fast!

HIe34
01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
and I'm sure you'll be there to help...right?

My OBC says 24 avg mph....when I get the chance i go real fast!

Then it will be no problem doing mine since we'll already make all the mistakes on yours..JK

No word from Ed yet, I'll try again tonight.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Talked to Yves @ BMA, gonna pick up the front end parts and a set of Eibachs.

I will take one last look at the whole front end this weekend before I finalize the order just to make sure I don't have any "oh shiesse" moments when I find I need an overlooked part.

HIe34
01-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Talked to Yves @ BMA, gonna pick up the front end parts and a set of Eibachs.

I will take one last look at the whole front end this weekend before I finalize the order just to make sure I don't have any "oh shiesse" moments when I find I need an overlooked part.

Front only or both?

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-12-2007, 07:29 PM
all four corners

632 Regal
01-13-2007, 09:31 AM
LMAO Bob votes on his own poll...hahaha

Get new spring pads while your in there and check your thrust arms too, perfect time to freashen it all up.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-13-2007, 03:44 PM
LMAO Bob votes on his own poll...hahaha

Get new spring pads while your in there and check your thrust arms too, perfect time to freashen it all up.

I have a bad control arm ball joint (knock)

and bad bushings too (shimmy 50-60 mph)

Tie rod boots are toasted

so...

while I down there I might as well pop some springs in.

632 Regal
01-15-2007, 01:19 AM
First time is the funnest too! :D

while I down there I might as well pop some springs in.

Paul in NZ
01-15-2007, 04:01 AM
get the thinner spring pads too....extra 6mm drop....

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-15-2007, 03:55 PM
The ball joints are wasted

Jr ///M5
01-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Bob, a long time ago I used to own a 535. It was all stock and like you the control arms needed attention along with the tie rods. The first thing I did was order a set of Style 5 rims, then tires....I know, I know, but now that I had what I wanted, it was easy to decide what I needed. I then ordered all the control arms, tie rods, pitman arms and a Sachs Sport Suspension kit. The Sachs kit was supposedly a matched spring/strut combo that used progressive springs in the rear. I put it all together and you couldn't pry the smile off my face! It was great! The ride was firm but not harsh, and I enjoyed every mile.

Fast forward to aquiring the M5....when the M5 came along I placed my clears and euro-trim, wheels and tires on it. The M5 had 16" wheels on it at the time and I placed them on the 535i. That little inch less in the wheels made the 535 ride as if it were stock again, but retained the sharp response of the Sachs kit. It was the perfect match. If they made decent 16" wheels for the E34, that would be the best of both worlds no doubt.

Have fun with the suspension, you're sure to enjoy the results. I'm looking at the same job for the M5. I've already got all the control arms, just waiting for the right time.

Good luck,

JR