PDA

View Full Version : center support bearing

ILoveMPower
01-11-2007, 03:50 PM
i got the old one off and the new one on, but as soon as i tighten the 19mm bolt all the way, the bearing takes a lot more effort to spin, i think it should spin freely, any ideas guys

scott 4991
01-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I just did this, you need to 'preload' the bearing 5-8mm as I recall, pushing it toward the front of the car. (there is a procedure for this in the Bentley book). I've put about 500 miles on mine, no issues that I am aware of.

sc

ILoveMPower
01-11-2007, 04:10 PM
i heard about that but it is not even in the car, do you think that tension is fine, did i put it on backwards or somthing?

ILoveMPower
01-11-2007, 04:23 PM
im scared to put it back in the car with that much friction, anyone?

pheno
01-11-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm about to do the same procedure soon. Where's the friction exactly coming from ? I guess the new bearings are always a bit stiff..

ILoveMPower
01-11-2007, 04:47 PM
but it spins freely untill i tighten it up

ILoveMPower
01-11-2007, 05:08 PM
it is like the coupler on the front shaft is hitting the rubber once it is all tight

scott 4991
01-11-2007, 05:43 PM
I can not help at this point. Mine worked freely, I did not try it after tightening, just did the pre-load and it worked fine.

sorry I can't provide more info.

sc

mattyb
01-11-2007, 06:20 PM
how did you put the centre bearing onto the spline?

ILoveMPower
01-11-2007, 06:32 PM
it is hard to explain but ill try, the bearing is in a sleeve type thing where it can only come out one way, well i put the open part towards where the other half will come in on the spline , it is how the old one was when i took it off it just seems that there is rubber rubbing somwhere

mattyb
01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
If its not in the car it should spin freely. before it went on did u happen to notice if the bearing was spinning ok? i think mine maybe a little differant im not sure they could be the same. a regular prob with CB's is shoving them on too tight, that is to say too far down the spline and beyond where they are meant to stop, even a mm or 2 can stuff it. did u use a wheel puller to get the old one off? if u have a wheel puller maybe pull the new one and try again. whlie the new one os off hold in your hand and give the centre a spin and see if its seized, it may have been a defective part from the start. just remember to keep mark the spline where it came off so you can re-align them. cheap enough to check only takes 3 minutes

Jon K
01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Please provide us an image to review of what you are talking about - I have done this several times and everything is fine and no weird friction or what not - perhaps you didn't press the bearing on far enough?

Bellicose Right Winger
01-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Did you put the dust shield on backwards?

Paul Shovestul

it is like the coupler on the front shaft is hitting the rubber once it is all tight

ILoveMPower
01-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Did you put the dust shield on backwards?

Paul Shovestul

The coupler or dust shield was still on there from the old one, which is what was causing it to bind up.

New guibo and center support bearing are finally installed and the ole' M30 feels better than ever

pheno
01-12-2007, 10:11 AM
The coupler or dust shield was still on there from the old one, which is what was causing it to bind up.

New guibo and center support bearing are finally installed and the ole' M30 feels better than ever

Congrats! Will do the same tomorrow. So no vibrations anymore whatsoever ? :)