PDA

View Full Version : Checking Coolant For Exhaust

Fetch
01-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey guys, in my never ending quest for preventative maintenance I would like to trace down a very slow coolant loss I've been noticing.
Over the last 1000 miles the coolant level has dropped about 1 inch in the expansion tank (checking when cold).

I have noticed dried up drips of coolant under where the top radiator hose connects to the radiator. I don't see any cracks in the plastic, it could be coming from the little return-to-expansion tank hose though, right above the upper radiator hose.

How much do the kits cost? to test my coolant for exhaust fumes, as I would like to rule that out in any case. I saw one online for $50......autozone or murray's have them?

No stumbling on start up, no check engine, no excessive steam from exhaust(it's more than most cars, but it is a BMW....)

DanDombrowski
01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Sounds like you're having a tiny drip at the seam of where the expanion tank meets the radiator. Moving air get some drops on the fan, and that flings it all over the engine bay, including that upper radiator hose.

That was the first sign of failure before my radiator started leaking more seriously.

Fetch
01-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Sounds like you're having a tiny drip at the seam of where the expanion tank meets the radiator. Moving air get some drops on the fan, and that flings it all over the engine bay, including that upper radiator hose.

That was the first sign of failure before my radiator started leaking more seriously.

I don't have the radiator connected expansion tank, I'm kinda thinking it's coming from the little hose that feeds to the expansion tank, donno.

mzarifkar
01-11-2007, 11:27 PM
If you have the time and resources i would take the radiator out and take a good look at it, along with the whole system, consider it a preventive maintanance radiator flush :)

You could even try an UV stain in the system and then look at it under UV light to find the leak (if you were going to flush it anyway..) Clean engine bay carefully and thoroughly first

Fetch
01-11-2007, 11:56 PM
The radiator doesn't look very old to my best guess...
I flushed the radiator & coolant to BMW Coolant 3,000 miles ago...