PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh got the correct clutch!

Jon K
01-11-2007, 11:59 AM
if anyone is interested in doing a clutch, I highly recommend ClutchNet - it's true they messed up and sent me a 240mm clutch disc (for an M3) instead of correct 228mm. It's slow around here so I took pics of the difference and, ultimately, the correct fit. They sent the clutch out without payment real quick - talked to them Tuesday and got it today.

Also, here are some better pics of the finish I managed to put on the flywheel as well.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/New%20Clutch/newclutch1.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/New%20Clutch/newclutch2.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/New%20Clutch/newclutch3.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/New%20Clutch/newclutch4.jpg

Jon K
01-11-2007, 11:59 AM
And a comparison of the two clutch discs - 228mm on the left, 240mm on the right:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/New%20Clutch/newclutch5.jpg

There really is not that much difference between the contact areas on each clutch disc - the 6 puck design means there is a lot of gap between the pads anyway, and furthermore the geometry of design really only moves the pads outward toward the edge of the 240mm disc, and not necessarily "taller" (or wider..) so, I am not sure in a 6 puck design that a swap from a 228 mm flywheel to a 240 mm would be cost effective for such little, if any upgrade.

Anton CH.
01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Is there anything that would work well w/ FI on the street? 6 puck designs are not very well suited for street and I drive in traffic quite a bit.

Jon K
01-11-2007, 04:33 PM
UUC says their cerametallic thing is good but you sacrifice max holding ability for driveability. I drive in traffic too - its not as bad as you think.

BillionPa
01-11-2007, 04:34 PM
the total surface area of the clutch pucks looks identical to the M3 design, doesnt look like an upgrade in terms of holding power, but it might be easier to slip.

if you want street, get an M5 organic clutch.

too bad they dont make some sort of wet clutch (not shared with the motor oil) that acts as a torque converter when the clutch pedal is halfway down, that would be fricken sweet.

Anton CH.
01-11-2007, 04:51 PM
the total surface area of the clutch pucks looks identical to the M3 design, doesnt look like an upgrade in terms of holding power, but it might be easier to slip.

too bad they dont make some sort of wet clutch (not shared with the motor oil) that acts as a torque converter when the clutch pedal is halfway down, that would be fricken sweet.

Would the m5 cluthc need a new flywheel to bolt up to m50?

Jon K
01-11-2007, 06:11 PM

Doesn't look like an upgrade in terms of holding power? Do you mean M3 vs M50 or stock versus this?

Ross
01-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Jon,
Why is the puck style used for high perf. applications?
Seems counterintuitive to reduce the friction area.

nizmainiac
01-11-2007, 06:37 PM
ahhh! i'm glad you've got it sorted, NOW you'll be able to appreciate all that power:D , i know the pressure plate is uprated, but i can't see the point in it being red coz you'll never see it:) , i'd be very interested to know what it's like on boost now that you have no slippage

Booster
01-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Nice Jon.....how long is the break in period ? Is this the same pkg. you think I should get ? And if so....pm me the damage to wallet please.
Kudos.......Vinny:)

Jon K
01-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Jon,
Why is the puck style used for high perf. applications?
Seems counterintuitive to reduce the friction area.

The pucks are used in drag and road racing where smoothe engagement is not needed - IE rev it and drop it with minimal slipping. Also, I don't think the ceramic / sintered iron can be shapped into a full circle like an organic clutch disc. The more pucks they have, the less harsh engagement (thats relative tough, its pretty on/off still with 6) while 3 and 4 pucks pretty much grab as soon as a puck grabs the flywheel.

You can get full disc organic or full disc kevlar from ClutchNet but naturally the materials are not designed for maximum hold - in fact if you glaze a Kevlar disc up too badly consider it trash as the kevlar does no break the glaze on the flywheel and it just make more and more mess of the setup.

Most of the "grab" comes from the clutch design with a 6 puck being the most aggressive you should ever attempt to drive on the street, a 4 puck being slightly more insane, and a 3 puck will leave you wanting to end your life if you have to stop at traffic lights. However, the pressure plate is responsible for the "hold" versus initial grab. A lot of people, especially road course racers tend to use stock Sachs organic discs for M3s but use an upgraded pressure plate - it gives good driving characteristics with slightly increased hold capability. The pressure plate I chose is a little bit more "wild" than necessary - its clamping force is 150% more than stock and although the salesman said people run them on the street, he did not recommend it - but again, that's relative, people also said I wouldn't like driving the Holset turbo on the street and that couldn't be further from true!

For $545 shipped you can't go wrong (Thats disc + pressure plate_. If I ever get crazy and run a 3 puck, they are only $90!

Jon K
01-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Nice Jon.....how long is the break in period ? Is this the same pkg. you think I should get ? And if so....pm me the damage to wallet please.
Kudos.......Vinny:)

It's really up to you - I will let you know how the car drives - they offer tons of options - go to www.clutchnet.com and simply put in you car and choose "solid hub" as that is what the stock flywheel caters to.

Booster
01-11-2007, 06:59 PM
It's really up to you - I will let you know how the car drives - they offer tons of options - go to www.clutchnet.com and simply put in you car and choose "solid hub" as that is what the stock flywheel caters to.

Great news. So what is their break in miles ?Very many before you can mash it ?:D

BillionPa
01-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Doesn't look like an upgrade in terms of holding power? Do you mean M3 vs M50 or stock versus this?

meant the one they sent you doesnt seem like much of an upgrade against the one you ordered.

Jon K
01-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Great news. So what is their break in miles ?Very many before you can mash it ?:D

People consider ceramic metallic clutches to not have a break in, you just slip the clutch when starting off and it cuts the flywheel surface. However, I am goign to be easy on it for about 500 miles or so.