PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Bmw 530i Trans-leaking Now!!!

Green Bimmer
01-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Joe Here in Orlando
1994 BMW 171,000

I took my car to Fields on 27 December 2006 to have the transmission serviced because the transmission was slipping. A young twenty something year old mechanic changed my transmission fluid. When I park the car in the garage overnight, I noticed the next morning that there was oil spot underneath the car. Later that day I took my car to have the brakes and rotors changed. I noticed that the transmission was leaking from what looked to be from the transmission pan. I figured the leak was coming from the transmission pan gasket, which the young twenty-something mechanic changed a couple days ago. I figured he didn't tighten the transmission pan nuts tight enough. On Tuesday 9 January 2007 I took the car to ZOTZ in Winter Park, Fl. ZOTZ is a certified BMW shop. I asked Don a mechanic that I contacted at ZOTZ to check my transmission because I believed the transmission gasket was leaking. Don placed my car on the lift and after a few minutes Don asked me to walk over to the car. Don showed me that the leak was not coming from the transmission pan gasket but from the rear gasket seal and from what I believe he said was the cross-member. I explained to Don that my car transmission was not leaking before I took the car to Fields BMW, Don went on to tell me that I would probably have to replace the transmission. Don also said that the fluid should not have been change at that mileage, but the fluid level should have been check and filled if found to be low. Today I talked to Joe Allegra at Fields BMW. Joe told me to bring the car in for him and I to look at the car together. Please give me some feedback on this matter. What do you think Fields should or should not do?

ryan roopnarine
01-10-2007, 10:41 PM
if you took it to fields and just asked them to change the transmission fluid, or you told them the symptoms and they suggested that changing your transmission fluid might help your slipping, then no, they aren't at fault.

Green Bimmer
01-10-2007, 10:47 PM
The Transmission was not leaking before I took the car to Fields.

if you took it to fields and just asked them to change the transmission fluid, or you told them the symptoms and they suggested that changing your transmission fluid might help your slipping, then no, they aren't at fault.

ryan roopnarine
01-10-2007, 10:56 PM
The Transmission was not leaking before I took the car to Fields.

what is the "rear gasket seal"? is that the output shaft of the transmission end? or is that something near the front (you said crossmember) of the transmission? stuff leaks sometimes when sludge is displaced. they might be responsible for fixing the leak for you, but that doesn't mean that they are responsible if the transmission kicks the bucket anytime soon. last ditch transmission fluid changes to help slipping transmissions are done all of the time, its much more of an art than a science. i've bought parts from fields winter park, but i've never had service done there...i don't know if they are incompetent or not.

Green Bimmer
01-10-2007, 11:05 PM
When Don checked the transmission fluid level, the transmission was full to capacity. I've been driving the car since December 27 and I know transmission fluid has been leaking because I can see the wet spot on the driveway. The fluid was not leaking before I took the car to Fields. Also if Fields filled the car with fluid on Dec 27 and the transmission has been leaking since Dec 27, I don't think the transmission fluid level should be full but the fluid level should be below full because of the leak. There is a possibility that Fields young mechanic overfilled the transmission.

what is the "rear gasket seal"? is that the output shaft of the transmission end? or is that something near the front (you said crossmember) of the transmission? stuff leaks sometimes when sludge is displaced. they might be responsible for fixing the leak for you, but that doesn't mean that they are responsible if the transmission kicks the bucket anytime soon. last ditch transmission fluid changes to help slipping transmissions are done all of the time, its much more of an art than a science. i've bought parts from fields winter park, but i've never had service done there...i don't know if they are incompetent or not.

ryan roopnarine
01-10-2007, 11:11 PM
how much is it "leaking"? and elaborate to us from where it is leaking on your transmission.

Green Bimmer
01-10-2007, 11:17 PM
it is probably a class two leak, but the fluid is more visible around the transmission area. Don showed me the leak was coming from the rear of the transmission and some cross area or something. I have the paper work outside in the car.

Green Bimmer
01-10-2007, 11:18 PM
it is probably a class two leak, but the fluid is more visible around the transmission area. Don showed me the leak was coming from the rear of the transmission and some cross area or something. I have the paper work outside in the car.

how much is it "leaking"? and elaborate to us from where it is leaking on your transmission.

ryan roopnarine
01-10-2007, 11:26 PM
how big, in diameter, are the drops on your driveway.

Green Bimmer
01-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Let me measure it (8x5 inches)

how big, in diameter, are the drops on your driveway.