PDA

View Full Version : oil filter

525ikicker
01-10-2007, 10:13 PM
hi, i have a 1990 525i with the m20 engine. i was wondering if there is a filter that is bigger than the standard size? my dad has a vw passat with a oversized filter, and i would like to convert but i have no clue where to start. Also i was wondering if anyone has ever put an oil cooler on there car? and where would u mount it if u had one?

thanks in advance
justin

bimmerd00d
01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
What would teh advantage of that be?

bfd
01-10-2007, 10:21 PM
What would teh advantage of that be?

Theoretically, a larger filter should have more filtering capacity. In the old days, I'm showing my age, we used Ford oil filters on Datsun 240Z cars (told you I'm showing my age). It was almost double the size and in our minds, double the filtering capacity (or so we hoped).

BillionPa
01-10-2007, 10:58 PM
larger filters are better.

but if you want the best, get an Amsoil bypass system with dual filters. big enough for a big rig, so you can run the full flow filter for 4 7000 mile changes, and the microparticle bypass filter every other full flow filter change, given normal operating conditions.

superior flow rates, superior particulate reduction, and longer drain intervals due to a full quart increase in oiling system capacity.

an EAO15 filter may fit as long as there is clearance for it and it doesnt leak oil. no guarantees , but the gasket dimensions are close, and the ID screw is the same.