PDA

View Full Version : help regarding engine/swapping

bkvj
01-10-2007, 04:32 PM
hey dudes,

i just registered, and i have a few questions about BMW engines etc.

at the moment, i have a hugely slow BMW 520i E34...automatic. well, its slow compared to my 2001 yamaha banshee, which im selling sadly.

anyways:

im looking to make this car to be a good sleeper.

i was thinking of swapping the engine for a M60 B40 (i think thats the right code for the 4 litre).

question one:

is it a straight swap? if not, what sort of parts do i need to complete this swap?

question two: this one has been bugging me for a while now; how strong is the engine? what are its limits on a stock bottom end?

i want to run around 400 whp in the end, my thoughts of the spec are lower down.

i also want it manual, as automatic is just not for me and far to boring. which gearbox?

question three: how does this gearbox hold? to what sort of power?

my thoughts of a 400 horsepower engine:

2x T28 turbo's
444cc injectors?????
255 L/H fuel pump
custom 3" turbo back exhaust, ending just behind the front fenders
uprated clutch

what sort of PSI is recommended?

if another engine is recommended for my spec please say so! all is going to get of scrapyard though....to keep the cost down!

thanks very much,

bas

angrypancake
01-10-2007, 06:07 PM
from what i understand you can't easily (if at all) turbo an m60 engine. supercharging is the only way to get FI in there.

if you want to do what you're planning, get an m30 engine. they are very easily boostable. you can get 400hp from them with a single turbo setup. you'll need the turbo, manifold, intercooler, plugs, injectors, yadda yadda and engine management.

go to www.bimmerforums.com register there and start a discussion in the forced induction section. this way you'll have two threads running concurrently.